Celestial Sphere: Origin of Measurements

• Thread starter Farina
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sphere
While Polaris is often used as a fixed marker, precession means that it is not exactly coincident with the NCP. Epochs and equinoxes are used as moments in time to mark the position of the celestial sphere in relation to the earth's orbit.
Farina
ok I know a bit about the celestial sphere and right ascension, declination, equinoxes, solistices, etc.

What is the absolute origin in the celestial sphere?

I know RA measurements use the vernal equinox, and that declination is +/- 90 degrees north/south of the celestial equator.

I thought Polaris might be used as a fixed marker, but I also know precession means that Polaris is close to the NCP, but not exactly coincident with the NCP. Epochs and equinoxes are moments in time.

So, what is used as an absolute marker of the celestial sphere from which all other markers, grids are derived?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The absolute origin of the celestial sphere is the north celestial pole (NCP). The NCP is located at the intersection of the celestial sphere and the earth's axis of rotation. It is an imaginary point in the night sky around which all stars appear to rotate. All right ascension measurements are measured from the NCP, and all declination measurements are measured from the celestial equator.

What is the celestial sphere?

The celestial sphere is an imaginary sphere surrounding the Earth, on which all celestial objects appear to be located from the perspective of an observer on Earth.

What is the origin of celestial sphere measurements?

The origin of celestial sphere measurements dates back to ancient civilizations, who used the celestial sphere to track the movements of the stars and planets for navigation and timekeeping purposes.

What are the coordinates used on the celestial sphere?

The coordinates used on the celestial sphere are right ascension and declination, which are similar to longitude and latitude on Earth. Right ascension is measured in hours, minutes, and seconds, while declination is measured in degrees, minutes, and seconds.

How is the celestial sphere used for navigation?

The celestial sphere is used for navigation by determining the position of stars and planets relative to the observer's location on Earth. This information can then be used to determine direction and time of day.

What are some modern applications of the celestial sphere?

The celestial sphere is still used in modern times for navigation, timekeeping, and astronomical research. It is also used in astrology and for mapping out constellations and astronomical objects.