Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cell Adhesion and Detachment

1. Feb 15, 2006 #1
    Hello all,

I am reading some primary literature in which they talk about cell adhesion and cell detachment. They describe different assays for each. My question is, how are these two different? It seems that high detachment is the same as low adhesion, but according to the article, for a particular cell that is the product of RNAi on the parent, adhesion is the same as the parental cell, but detachment is much higher. I am confused about this, and I cannot find a simple answer anywhere. Can anyone help me out with a clarification?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2006 #2
    No one can help me out here?

4. Feb 15, 2006 #3

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As far as I remember, detachment and adhesion are mediated by different factors/causes but some of these are common in both process. Have you tried to look for the factors/cause that initiate and mediate adhesion and detachment?

5. Feb 15, 2006 #4
    Well, yes. In this particular experiment, the expression of a particular protein affected the detachment properties of the cell expressing it. It did not affect the adhesion however.

I really am looking for the difference between the two, nothing with the factors that cause it. I just don't get why there are different assays for detachment and adhesion. I mean if there is a lot of detachment, doesn't that just mean that there was poor adhesion? I'm trying to find out how these are different properties that need to be looked at separately.

6. Feb 15, 2006 #5

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

Can you give us the reference so we can take a look at what is driving your question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?