1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cell Cycle & Cancer - Cyclin/Cdks

1. Jul 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

General questions about how cancer affects the cell cycle...

1) Does cancer actually speed up the individual phases of mitosis (prophase, metaphase, anaphase, telophase) ... ie metaphase occurs 100x sooner following prophase in a cancer cell compared to a normal cell? or does cancer just increase the number of times mitosis as a whole is performed?

2) Also, it seems that cyclins and cdks play a great role in cancer cells. From my understanding, the cyclin and/or cdk becomes defective and is used too much, causing mitosis to repeat without stop. Is this correct?

3) If I am correct in (2), is there a specific phase in the cell cycle where these cancer inducing cyclins and cdks are found? Are these cyclins and cdks only found in the interphase? Only in G1? Only in mitosis? Throughout all of interphase and mitosis? Only in G2? etc etc

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You have to show your attempts to receive help. This is a forum policy.

4. Jul 5, 2009 #3
    My attempt at understanding the question is actually meshed into my question above. I am aware of the 3 part guideline enforced on this forum but it is a little difficult to split my question and attempted understanding of it into two different blocks of words

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook