1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cell Cycle

1. Jul 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    First question of this particular page
    http://www.hourlybook.com/ncert-questions-pmts-cell-cycle-cell-division/

2. Relevant equations
    the answer is given as C.

3. The attempt at a solution
    But i didn't understand because in last phase i.e D dna content is again reduced to 2c.But in mitosis I have studied that it is equational division so each daughter cell after mitosis should have 4C DNA content not 2C.

I think it is called equational division just because (1)number of chromosome remains same but DNA content is halved after mitosis.
    (2)Each daughter cell has same number of chromosome as mother cell but half amount of DNA as compared to mother cell.
    (3)Ploidy is related to number of chromosome not with DNA content
    am I right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2015 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

The 4C refers to total DNA content, which is halved during mitosis. The original cell contains four copies of each chromosome: two identical copies of the maternal chromosome and two identical copies of the paternal chromosome. The daughter cells will each contain one copy of the maternal chromosome and one copy of the paternal chromosome. The daughter cells each have a full set of chromosomes, but the chromosomes will be present in two copies per cell rather than four copies per cell.

4. Jul 20, 2015 #3
  5. Jul 20, 2015 #4

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Yes, right after cell division, the daughter cells will have the same amount of DNA as the mother cell did during the G1 phase (before DNA replication).

6. Jul 20, 2015 #5
    Thanks for replying .I thought my thread would be deleted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted