Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cell differentiation questions

1. May 16, 2004 #1
    How exactly are the epithilial cells in the small intestines adapted for their specific function?

How are palisade mesophyll cells adapted?

Thanks for any and all help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2004 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This smells a lot like a homework problem to me. So, I'll help you think through this, but won't answer it for you. What are the different cell types in the intestines? What makes each of them different (i.e., shape, presence of structures such as cilia, secretory properties). Now, what does each of those cell types do? If you put all of this information together, you'll have the answer to your question. If you get stuck, share as much as you can answer of this, and then we can work from there to help you find the rest of the answer.

4. May 17, 2004 #3
    It's not a homework question. I'm going through my syllabus of what i need to know, revising, and making notes. I couldn't find this but i guess i'll take another look.

5. May 17, 2004 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay...guess it's final exam time, huh? Sorry, just the way the questions were worded, they sounded like homework problems. It's been a long while since I've had to teach on the digestive tract, so I can't recall all of it. I'd have to look it up too, so you might as well do that part; the cell types should be listed in your textbook. If you can find the names of them, that will probably help trigger my memory enough to help with the functions. Right now, the only thing popping into my mind are the goblet cells in the large intestine...that's the sort of name that's hard to forget. The different cell types along the digestive tract do have different functions, to either aid in absorption of nutrients or in secretion of digestive "juices" (in addition to the enzymes supplied by the pancreas), or to provide protection against the low pH of the stomach and start to neutralize that. That's the thing about biology, you need to know the names of things for exams, but in reality, understanding their function is the part that needs to stick with you after the exam...you can always look up the names again if you need them again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?