Exploring Cancer: Genetics, Cell Division & Treatment

In summary: The programme gives a brief discription on cell division and how doctors think the way forward for treatment is changing due to the Understanding of Genetic (genome) discovery. The film shows Cancer Cell division/multiplication, and how the cells get their information to replicate. Just seen an interesting documentary about the breakthrough in Cancer treatments. The programme gives a brief discription on cell division and how doctors think the way forward for treatment is changing due to the Understanding of Genetic (genome) discovery. Anyway, I was fascinated by the film showing Cancer Cell division/multiplication, and how the cells get their information to replicate? I think the process is amazing and is a breakthrough in terms of understanding
ranyart
Just seen an interesting documentary about the breakthrough in Cancer treatments. The programme gives a brief discription on cell division and how doctors think the way forward for treatment is changing due to the Understanding of Genetic (genome) discovery. Anyway I was fascinated by the film showing Cancer Cell division/multiplication, and how the cells get their information to replicate?

It seems quite amazing that for cells in early human formation just after conception, the process is almost identical, cells divide and multiply? Now it seems the same process that brings forth life/birth in our growing mothers womb, is also responsible for a lot of deaths, due to the same genetic instructions?

Cancer victims "Grow" towards an early death by the same process that gave them life. Ironic and sad for some that there is a Time for birth and a Time to die, by the same natural process.

I do think that there is major breakthroughs coming that will relieve a lot of sufferers, and my early sceptic views on the Genome project has been totally reversed having seen some early progress for cancer patients, as a direct result form knowledge gained by Genome project.

Biology news on Phys.org
I saw a Nova special awhile back on endostatin. The research that was behind it was amazing, as was the initial results, but I haven't heard anything more on it. A friend of mine at Purdue is doing some interesting virus work with cancer as well.

What is the breakthrough you speak. We have known for years that cancer was due to uncontrollable cell division.

Nautica

Originally posted by nautica
What is the breakthrough you speak. We have known for years that cancer was due to uncontrollable cell division.

Nautica

I have to re-watch the video recording I made of this programme as I do not know the exact name of the top of my head, rest assured I will be back with another overview as the interest on a molecular basis is really thought provoking. The dynamics of the process is my main interest as it involves a definate correlation with the process namely, TIME.

P.S the information of cell division is known as you state, but the breakthrough involve's the introduction of TIME-BLOCKING instructions, as I state the cells are uniquelly tuned into the concept of time signatures?

I see, keep us posted.

Nautica

1. What is cancer?

Cancer is a disease in which cells in a specific part of the body divide and grow uncontrollably, forming a mass of abnormal cells known as a tumor. These abnormal cells can invade and destroy healthy tissues and can also spread to other parts of the body.

2. How is cancer caused?

Cancer is caused by mutations or changes in the DNA of cells. These mutations can be inherited from a person's parents or can occur during a person's lifetime due to exposure to environmental factors such as tobacco smoke, radiation, or certain chemicals.

3. What role do genetics play in cancer?

Genetics can play a significant role in the development of cancer. Some people are born with certain genetic mutations that make them more susceptible to developing cancer, while others may develop mutations during their lifetime that increase their risk. However, having a genetic predisposition to cancer does not guarantee that a person will develop the disease.

4. How does cell division relate to cancer?

Cell division is a normal and necessary process in the body for growth and repair. However, when cells divide too quickly or without control, it can lead to the formation of tumors and the development of cancer. Certain mutations in genes involved in cell division can also contribute to the growth of cancer cells.

5. What are the different types of cancer treatments?

There are several types of cancer treatments, including surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, immunotherapy, and targeted therapy. The type of treatment recommended will depend on the type and stage of cancer, as well as the individual's overall health and preferences.