Cell Division: An Overview for Beginners

In summary, Cell division is the process by which a single cell duplicates its DNA, cellular structures, and grows in order to split into two daughter cells. This is how cells reproduce and is an essential process in maintaining life. The specifics of what happens during cell division can vary depending on the type of cell being studied.
no idea
could anybody be kind to explain what is cell division to me please? i only know is that its chromotins duplicated.

Biology news on Phys.org
hi no idea!

i think that question is to broad to reply here, maybe it is better that you do a google search. it will give you better understanding than anyone here can give, i think :smile:

Hmmm, it is sort of hard to understand on what level you want your question answered, so first of all I must say I agree with indoubt, google will answer that question better than us.

The first part of your question makes it sound like you want to know that a cell division is when a single cell duplicates all of it's DNA, cellular structures, and grows to a point where it splits in half, resulting in two daughter cells, both of which are then able to repeat this procedure time and time again. This is how cells reproduce. This is why cells grow at an exponential rate. 1 becomes 2, 2 becomes 4, 4 becomes 8 etc...

The second sentance implies that you do actually understand the obvious and that you want an in depth explanation of all of the things which happen at the point of division... which yeah, you could get a truck load of answers. Everything happens. In fact, most of everything that happens in a cell is either a preparation for division, or a racovery from division if it isn't the division process itself. Face it, the point of life is to reproduce.

Also, the answer to this question may also depend on what cell you want the information for. Bacteria (which one?), Yeast? Mamallian Cells? etc...

1. What is cell division?

Cell division is the process by which a parent cell divides into two or more daughter cells. This is a vital process for the growth, development, and reproduction of all living organisms.

2. What are the two types of cell division?

The two types of cell division are mitosis and meiosis. Mitosis is a form of cell division that results in two identical daughter cells, while meiosis is a specialized form of cell division that results in four genetically unique daughter cells.

3. What is the purpose of cell division?

The purpose of cell division is to ensure the growth and development of an organism, as well as to repair damaged or dying cells. In unicellular organisms, cell division is also necessary for reproduction.

4. What happens during the cell cycle?

The cell cycle is the series of events that take place in a cell as it grows and divides. It consists of three main phases: interphase, mitosis (or meiosis), and cytokinesis. During interphase, the cell grows and replicates its DNA. Mitosis or meiosis then divides the DNA and the cell's contents. Finally, cytokinesis separates the cell into two daughter cells.

5. What are the consequences of an abnormal cell division?

An abnormal cell division can lead to various health issues, including cancer. If the cell division process is not tightly regulated, it can result in uncontrolled cell growth and division, leading to the formation of tumors. Additionally, mutations can occur during cell division, which can cause genetic disorders or birth defects.