Cell Membrane and Hollow Spheres

In summary, there are two problems being discussed. The first one involves calculating the magnitude of the electric field in a cell membrane based on its thickness and potential difference. The second problem involves finding the electric energy contained in the space between two concentric metal spheres filled with Teflon, using equations for capacitance and potential difference. The equations were derived and worked out to solve the problems.
figs
there are 2 probs here.
1) The inner and outer surfaces of a cell membrane carry a negative and positive charge, respectively. Because of these charges, a potential difference of about 0.0680 V exists across the membrane. The thickness of the membrane is 7.95×10-9 m. What is the magnitude of the electric field in the membrane?

I thought i could just use E=-change in V/change in distance, but no.

2) Two hollow metal spheres are concentric with each other. The inner sphere has a radius of 0.1440 m and a potential of 86.0 V. The radius of the outer sphere is 0.146 m and its potential is 82.0 V. If the region between the spheres is filled with Teflon, find the electric energy contained in this space.

This one i played with in the equation V=(kq/rsquared)+(k/q'/rsquared).
I've just confused myself with working them so many times. so I am seeking help here!

Physics news on Phys.org
(1) asks for magnitude, so I think it's just [itex]E = \left | \frac{\Delta V}{d} \right | [/itex]

(2) determine the capacitance using the potential difference, the distance between the spheres, and the dielectric constant of the teflon. Then you can find the amount of energy stored using the potential difference and the capacitance.

i figured it out.
(1) I set V=kq/r equal to E=kq/r^2

(2) i solved Q=[(kEoA)/d]V
and then plugged into V=EPE/Q

its easier for me if the equations are
derived, and i worked it all out nicely.
That second problem was making me crazy!

1. What is the function of the cell membrane?

The cell membrane is a thin, flexible barrier that surrounds and protects the cell. Its main function is to regulate the movement of substances in and out of the cell, allowing essential nutrients to enter and waste products to leave.

2. How is the cell membrane structured?

The cell membrane is composed of a double layer of phospholipids, with the hydrophobic tails facing inwards and the hydrophilic heads facing outwards. Embedded within this structure are various proteins, cholesterol molecules, and carbohydrates, which all play important roles in maintaining the membrane's structure and function.

3. What is the significance of hollow spheres in cells?

Hollow spheres, also known as vesicles, are small membrane-bound structures within cells that serve a variety of functions. They can transport materials within the cell, store and release substances, and even help with cell division.

4. How does the cell membrane maintain homeostasis?

The cell membrane plays a crucial role in maintaining homeostasis, or a stable internal environment, within the cell. It does this by selectively allowing certain substances to enter or leave the cell, while keeping others out. This helps to maintain proper levels of nutrients, ions, and other molecules necessary for the cell's survival.

5. Can substances pass through the cell membrane without any assistance?

Yes, certain substances such as small, nonpolar molecules (like oxygen and carbon dioxide) can pass through the cell membrane without any assistance. This process is known as passive diffusion. However, larger or charged molecules usually require the help of specialized proteins in the cell membrane to move across the membrane.