Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cell phone battery life

1. Jun 26, 2006 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

My Sony Ericsson T200 cell phone is ~4 years old. (I know, vacuum tubes and dial knobs). It is no longer made. Thus, they no longer make the batteries either.

My battery's life has become quite short, lasting only a day or two without use (it used to last all week), so I'd like to replace it.

A guy at the Fido booth suggests that I can get an aftermarket battery, but those batteries will not be nearly as good as the original (I don't know if he means because they're old or becasue they're knock-offs). Anyway, the number he threw out was 30%, meaning I might only get 30% performance out of them (which is about what I'm getting now).

My question: are these after-market batteries less able to perform - for whatever reason - than my original?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Most cell phone companies are giving away phones for free that are much more sophisticated than what you have. Time to let go Dave. I have my 6 lb Ericson cell phone in my closet. There comes a time when you just...have...to...let...go.

Put the phone down Dave. PUT IT DOWN. BACK AWAY FROM IT. It had a long and happy life, but all good things must come to an end.

Oh, and while you're at it, you might as well give up your 8 track tape deck and BetaMax. They're not coming back either Dave. :uhh:

4. Jun 26, 2006 #3

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Aftermaket batteries that will fit your phone are most likely made by the same company that made the original battery.

Sounds like a lot of hype to me.

OTOH Evo has a point.
    It will probably be cheaper to get another phone :grumpy:

5. Jun 27, 2006 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

< rant >
    My phone can
    - call people
    - receive calls
    That's all a phone needs to do
    All the rest just means longer and deeper menus and crap.

I'm not some attention-deficit teen whose phone was bought by their parents and who doesn't pay the bill so I can text message jokes and play video games all day.
    < /rant >

Evo: 'sophisticated' does not equate with 'useful'. The new phones have no benefits over my current phone.

Also, those phone upgrades invariably come with prepaid contracts. I am on pay-as-you-go. So those phones are at full price.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  6. Jun 27, 2006 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Go to Walmart and get one of those no frills "pay as you go" phones. I'm the same way, I only want my phone to make and receive calls, and that's all it does. It cost me $39. I only recharge my battery every 6 days, and that's with it always on and daily use. (I'm not a heavy user)

7. Jun 29, 2006 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

But ... but ...

I have a phone.

8. Jun 29, 2006 #7

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A new battery will work the same as the old battery before it went bad.

How much will the new battery cost?
    Probably more than Evo's solution :grumpy:

9. Jun 30, 2006 #8
    I'm with Evo on this one, time to say goodbye.

10. Jun 30, 2006 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

New batteries cost as little as $35.

Still, my question isn't getting answered (well, except for NoTime, who has, twice). Are after-market batteries lower quality than brand name batteries, specifically when it comes to stand-by life? I'd prefer an educated opinion over a guess (but I'll take what I can get).

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  11. Jun 30, 2006 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Consumer Zombies.:biggrin:

12. Jul 1, 2006 #11

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmmm $39 vs $35, not much of a difference there.
    Does that include shipping?

One thing you haven't considered is a possible defect in the phone that has caused an increase in standby load. If you don't have the tools to verify the correct operation of the phone or alternatively do a load check on the battery to make sure it is actually defective, then you are taking a risk.

Of course the value of your time in performing the tests would easily double the effective cost of the new battery.:grumpy:

As far as being aftermarket.
    There just isn't that many actual companies that make the stuff compared to the number of brands you find.
    For instance at one time there were some 90 odd brands of VCR but only 6 actual production plants.

The company that made the phone would source from a battery company.
    It simply is not cost effective for the battery company to set up a separate process to make "aftermarket" batteries. It all comes off the same conveyor belt.

13. Jul 2, 2006 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Hang on. Saving money isn't the big issue. I wouldn't give up a phone that
    - I'm used to
    - has all my #'s in it
    - is compatible with my wife's phone
    - is good quality
    - etc.

Having a reliable piece of equipment doesn't come free these days.

Anything costing more than a Starbuck's coffee has cheaper knock-offs made of it, why would batteries be any different?

14. Jul 3, 2006 #13
    they do vary some BUT most are common cells bought in bulk and put in
    a case to fit the phone shape so the cells may be the same as original even in a second party case or better then original or worse
    some is luck of the draw as to how long they work

ni-cads get a memory effect if short charged [recharged at 1/2 charged]
    they last best if run full cycle max charge to totaly dead
    but thats hard to do on a phone
    but DONOT charge a more then 1/2 charged battery
    or buy 2 and use intill it is dead then switch

15. Nov 10, 2006 #14
    Just dont overcharge your cellphones. Its good for the life of the battery.

16. Nov 10, 2006 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Way to dredge up an old thread... :)

Um. I presume you meant "it's NOT good"...

17. Nov 10, 2006 #16
  18. Nov 13, 2006 #17
    I'm with Dave on the old phone thing. Living away from a metro area, I miss my old StarTec that allowed me to manually switch to analog mode. Often it was a much better signal than the digital. Now, 2 phones later I can't even get it to go to analog.

Stand your ground Dave!! Buy an aftermarket battery, and if it doesn't work well -- well I am sure you've spent $35 on worse things in your life.

19. Nov 13, 2006 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Here you go, Dave. ~$25 gets you a lithium ion battery (no memory effect when charging partially-depleted batteries).

http://www.cellular-blowout.com/ert2tliionba.html

BTW, your phone makes my old Nokia look like it should have a cord on it.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  20. Nov 13, 2006 #19
    increase battery life?

i dont know if this actually works if you put the battery in the freezer? they say it clears the "memory" and should last longer

21. Dec 14, 2006 #20
    Look on ebay. I was going to get a new battery for my old cell phone at one time cuz it was having the same problem as you. And I think it was actually a better battery. Meaning my old one was say rated at 800mah, while the new was rated at 1200mah. And you could get one for peanuts compared to buying direct from the cell phone manufacturer. Heck for $10 or so you can't go wrong. I understand where your coming from about letting go of your old phone. In fact my new one had exceptionally poor sound quality compared to my old one.
    Jim

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?