Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cell phone cooks egg?

1. Feb 8, 2006 #1
    is it true or not
    its supposed to be an urban legend that you can cook an egg with your cellphone. the same way that a microwave cooks an egg but a lot slower because of the power difference, 1500 to 3 (watts).

i was wondering if the cell phone frequency was even high enough to be caught by the egg

and if i had 500 cellphones, could i cook an egg?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2006 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I've never heard that one, but "slow" wouldn't even begin to describe the cooking rate a .2 to .6 watt (not sure where you get 3 watts, but .2 to .6 is what google tells me) omnidirectional signal could do to an egg.

Also, since the signals are in the radio range, not the microwave range, I'm not sure they can even be absorbed.

4. Feb 8, 2006 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If a cell phone could cook an egg, don't you think we'd all have rather crispy ears by now?

5. Feb 9, 2006 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Obviously you've never spent two hours talking on a cell phone. :tongue2:

6. Feb 9, 2006 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

7. Feb 9, 2006 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Definitely not all at once anyway! The two hour phone calls have all been on land lines, and my ear does start getting warm, but I don't think that has anything to do with the phone.

8. Feb 9, 2006 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Every now and again I have to spend hours and hours on mine over a period of days. After about an hour they start getting hot, and uncomfortably so. But this is just the battery and circuits getting hot. And in fact some cell batteries have caught on fire, even while in people's pockets.

9. Feb 9, 2006 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I remember an investigation that showed a tremendous number of cell phone batteries are knock-offs! One of the problems is that they get hot much quicker then the real batteries.

10. Feb 9, 2006 #9
    There was an experiment in an episode of the UK TV series "Brainiac - Science Abuse" where they surrounded an egg with 100 mobile phones, rang them all and then checked to see if the egg was boiled.

It wasn't altered in any perceivable way, it was still a gooey mess.

11. Feb 9, 2006 #10

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Aah, you have to love the rigourous scientific manner in which they conduct their experiments... :uhh:

Damn enteretaining though. :biggrin:

12. Feb 11, 2006 #11
    Yeah, gotta love those big breaste.... err.. brained... "scientists" they get to perform their experiments.

13. Feb 11, 2006 #12

wolram

Gold Member

They attempted to spark an explosion with mobile phones too, they failed, but, a man wearing a nyon suit coupled to a long wire could.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?