Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cell phone making random calls?

1. Jul 13, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Twice now I have been told that my cell phone has called someone without my knowledge. At first I assumed that I had bumped a button but I show no records of the outgoing calls in memory. I'm still waiting to see if the usage shows up on the bill. I have noticed from time to time that the display light comes on spontaneously while the phone is just sitting. I'm not sure what's happening here but it seems to be interesting. Both people could hear me and showed my number on their caller ID.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2004 #2
    Virus?

Could be a virus. There have been cases of CELL PHONE/ PDA/ Handheald Computer viruses. Some can even be trasmitted to other devices without anyone knowing (through bluetooth).

4. Jul 17, 2004 #3
    The only time that my cell phone has made calls without me initiating them were when I tried to plug in a Nokia handsfree set into my Samsung. It would automatically bring up the recently called list, and call the first number on it. It did show up on my usage bill, too, so the problem may not be the same. It's prolly some interference from a device that's either plugged into your phone, or is near it. Maybe a virus, too.

5. Jan 12, 2007 #4
    Did you ever figure it out?

Just wondering, did you ever figure out why your phone made these calls? I ask becuse I am on the receiving end of a cell phone making random calls. I get calls from the same cell phone at all hours of the day and night - at least 3 times a week for the last 6+ months. I can hear people in the background, but there is never anyone on the phone. I've called the guy back a few times to tell him about these phone calls, but he is unaware of them happening. (And of course, the phone company won't do anything)

Were you ever able to stop the calls?

6. Jan 12, 2007 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Has someone perhaps cloned your phone?

7. Jan 13, 2007 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, this is an old thread. No, never figured it out. I just pitched the phone and got a new one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?