1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cell Stoichiometry

1. Nov 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the mass of sodium deposited at the cathode of a molten NaCl(l) electrolytic cell if 10.0 A flow through the cell for 2.00h.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the mole ratio,
    Na+ +e --> Na
    2Cl- --> Cl2 + 2e
    Should I balance the electron ? 2Na+ +2e --> 2Na
    or I use Na+ +e --> Na
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Na+ + e- -> Na will do.

Do you know Farady's law of electrolysis? Do you know how to calculate charge given current and time?

--

4. Nov 13, 2009 #3
    Yes.
    But when should I balance the electron?

5. Nov 13, 2009 #4

Borek

Not sure what you mean - sodium reduction reaction is written is already balanced.

--
    methods

6. Nov 14, 2009 #5
    You balance the half equations, Then identify which is oxidised and reduced, then you add the electrons to the specific sides (RHS reduction, LHS oxidisation). but if Na+(aq) + e- --> Na(s).

Just check your standard reduction potentials chart and you'll see.

7. Nov 15, 2009 #6

Borek

Na+(aq) + e- -> Na(s) - state of matter symbol should be listed in plain text, not subscript nor anything.

These are of no use here - you are already told what is the reaction that goes on - reduction of sodium.

--
    methods

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  8. Nov 15, 2009 #7
    The super script was an accident, But I dont see why i cannot use sub script for them?

9. Nov 15, 2009 #8

Borek

See http://www.iupac.org/reports/provisional/abstract05/GreenBook051206_prs.pdf [Broken], General Chemistry section, Other symbols and conventions in chemistry (2.10.1), (vi) States of aggregation.

--
    methods

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. Nov 19, 2009 #9
  11. Nov 19, 2009 #10

Borek

You don't have to - we are interested only in sodium and we need just sodium half reaction. Balanced - but half reaction only.

--
    methods

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook