1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cellular Co-operation.

1. Jan 30, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    Im new to this and i have a random question?
    A friend of mine asked me if there is a single cell species which on it own functions like a single cell but when say for example 3 of them get together they take 1/3 of the workload and together function as a single cell. The cells after a while split up and function individualy again.
    I am totally baffled by this question and am looking for a wity answer. ;)
    Please could you help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2009 #2
    Maybe he wants you to help him do his homewrk.

4. Jan 30, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the reply.
    Probably, but he didn't mention homework and i am quite currious about it myself. i have been working through the single cell information database on the net and have had no luck so i was looking for some advice on where to look.

5. Jan 30, 2009 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Volvox immediately comes to mind, as does Dictyostelium and (at a higher level of organization) Siphonophorae.

6. Jan 30, 2009 #5
    These are not involved in some 3 celled cooperative complex. there are plenty of multicellular associations - even between diverse organisms (e.g lichens). Just can't see one 3 cells in complexity short of one involving an endosymbiotic interpretation of intracellular organellles,

7. Jan 31, 2009 #6
    Thank you for your reply's. I do understand that there are many multicellular complexes I was just using 3 cells as an example. The endosymbiotic interpetation are you refering to is like mitochondria in eukaryotic cells I guess?

8. Jan 31, 2009 #7
    yup - mitochondria, chloroplast, etc - maybe stretch it to include plasmids and lysogeny (?)..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?