Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cellular Co-operation.

1. Jan 30, 2009 #1
    Im new to this and i have a random question?
    A friend of mine asked me if there is a single cell species which on it own functions like a single cell but when say for example 3 of them get together they take 1/3 of the workload and together function as a single cell. The cells after a while split up and function individualy again.
    I am totally baffled by this question and am looking for a wity answer. ;)
    Please could you help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2009 #2
    Maybe he wants you to help him do his homewrk.
  4. Jan 30, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the reply.
    Probably, but he didn't mention homework and i am quite currious about it myself. i have been working through the single cell information database on the net and have had no luck so i was looking for some advice on where to look.
  5. Jan 30, 2009 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Volvox immediately comes to mind, as does Dictyostelium and (at a higher level of organization) Siphonophorae.
  6. Jan 30, 2009 #5
    These are not involved in some 3 celled cooperative complex. there are plenty of multicellular associations - even between diverse organisms (e.g lichens). Just can't see one 3 cells in complexity short of one involving an endosymbiotic interpretation of intracellular organellles,
  7. Jan 31, 2009 #6
    Thank you for your reply's. I do understand that there are many multicellular complexes I was just using 3 cells as an example. The endosymbiotic interpetation are you refering to is like mitochondria in eukaryotic cells I guess?
  8. Jan 31, 2009 #7
    yup - mitochondria, chloroplast, etc - maybe stretch it to include plasmids and lysogeny (?)..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?