Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cellular Respiration advanced formula?

1. Jan 31, 2005 #1
    Just out of curiosity, does anybody know the more advanced version of the following Cellular Respiration formula? Thanks.

C6H12O6 + 6O2 -> 6CO2 + 6H2O + 36ATP

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Any biology or biochemistry textbook will have an entire chapter dedicated to the complete process of cellular respiration. It would be far too long to write here.

4. Jan 31, 2005 #3
  5. Feb 4, 2005 #4
    Is this the fully extended formula? Or is there more to it? (Why I'm so interested is that the fact that "ATP comes from nothing" barely makes sense to me.. I want to fully understand)
    [tex]C_{6} H_{12} O_{6} + 6 H_{2} O + 6 O_{2} + 36ADP + 36P + 10NAD^{+} + 2FAD + 14H^{+} -> 6O_{2} + 12H_{2} O + 36ATP + 10NADH + 10H^{+} + 2FADH_{2}[/tex]
    And are there any mistakes?
    Thanks.

6. Feb 4, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's a lot more to it. Cellular respiration involves three different processes, glycolysis, the Krebs cycle, and the electron transport chain that drives oxidative phosphorylation. As I said before, there is an entire chapter of any biology textbook worth its salt on this topic, complete with illustrations and an entire page (or two) showing each of the three reaction processes. It is far too much to explain here.

7. Feb 4, 2005 #6
    Hm, OK.
    Thanks alot.

8. Feb 5, 2005 #7

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First there should ATP going in your reaction. glycolysis requires the input of energy. Second you sugar are left out at the end (i.e. it is not balance).

Also, ATP does not come from nothing there enzyme that synthesise AMP, then AMP can become ADP. To create ATP, it requires a lot of energy, that were the sugar is for.

9. Feb 5, 2005 #8
    Hmm, OK...
    My teacher tells me the 6O2 on the right should be 6CO2, is that correct?
    And how much ATP should be going in? Can you show me the correct version?
    Thanks.

10. Feb 5, 2005 #9

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Respiration is always simplified to show the net gain. 2 ATP has to go in in order for glycolysis to be started. Glycolysis will produce 4 ATP and net gain of 2 ATP.

CO2 show also be at the right of the equation.

As moonbear noted, the cylce is far too complex to synthesised in a formula and any formula will be far to simplified to illustatred the cellular respiration.

11. Feb 5, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?