Censureship on this site

• Thread starter Spandau
  • Start date
I know it's frustrating at times, but the moderators are just trying to maintain a respectful and productive atmosphere for discussion. It may not always seem fair, but they have to make tough decisions to keep things running smoothly. In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of censorship on the forum, particularly regarding discussions about religion and polar bears. The poster suggests implementing a rule where comments must cite scientific evidence from a pre-approved list and avoid certain subtopics in order to engage in fruitful discussions. They also express frustration with the banning of certain topics and suggest that debate and uncertainty can make topics more interesting. Overall, the conversation touches on the importance of maintaining a respectful and productive atmosphere for discussions on the forum.
Spandau
I naively posted a reply to a current environmental topic only to be given a warning that this topic is off limits and is banned. I find it sinister that this should happen. I dare'nt mention the topic for fear of being banned completely but let's just say that it involves fossil fuels a well known gas and polar bears. Any one else worried about this censureship.

Physics news on Phys.org
Spandau said:
I naively posted a reply to a current environmental topic only to be given a warning that this topic is off limits and is banned. I find it sinister that this should happen. I dare'nt mention the topic for fear of being banned completely but let's just say that it involves fossil fuels a well known gas and polar bears. Any one else worried about this censureship.

You need to know the history. Certain topics, like religion and polar bears, have been the subject of countless long, heated arguments with no possible resolution. After this happens enough times with a given topic, they decide to just put it off limits. It's not really sinister: it's mentor fatigue, like when your dad yelled, "You kids shut up back there or I'm going to stop this car and make you walk home."

The protocol is to send a PM to the offended mentor, or whoever didn't like your post, and ask why you got the warning, if you don't know why, rather than opening a new thread about it.

You could also educate yourself in the topic before sending a private message by looking into the Similar Threads located at the very bottom of the screen if you like. Go tp your thread where you got the warning and look at the bottom.

I am generally against censorship. However I am happy that this forum has clear and enforced rules, because that what makes intelligent discussion possible. I for one found this forum because I have some questions about the mechanical parts of boat design. First I have tried the most relevant forum, but my questions there met two type of answers: hatred personal attacks I believe I did not provoke, and utter silence (in one case the only answer was that no one will answer me, and it came from a person who I know capable of answering my questions.)
As of global warming: I thoroughly understand why the mentors have choosen this way. It is not a good thing, but certainly better than leaving those discussion to go wild. I am new here, so I am not a position to know better, however I have an idea.
Please do not reply to the idea itself, because it can also provoke unwanted lengthy discussion. It is here just as a notice which moderators passing by might or might not consider.
So what about two list of items:
One is about the facts which are considered scientifically unchallanged. Those could be challenged only in (or in a similar manner than) Independent Research forum.
One is about subtopics which forbidden.
Now each comment would be required to cite scientific evidence from the above list for each and every claim it makes (virtually every sentence), and should not even remotely touch subtopics on the second list.
Anything not adhering to this rule would be harshly and cruelly moderated.
It would be throroughly painful to discuss topics this way, but not impossible. And it would make life for moderators easier.

Phrak said:
The protocol is to send a PM to the offended mentor, or whoever didn't like your post, and ask why you got the warning, if you don't know why, rather than opening a new thread about it.

You could also educate yourself in the topic before sending a private message by looking into the Similar Threads located at the very bottom of the screen if you like. Go tp your thread where you got the warning and look at the bottom.

believe i am fairly educated BSc physics, MSc Maths and I have educated my self in this forbidden topic. I have also looked into why this important current topic is banned and do not understand the logic in banning it

zoobyshoe said:
You need to know the history. Certain topics, like religion and polar bears, have been the subject of countless long, heated arguments with no possible resolution. After this happens enough times with a given topic, they decide to just put it off limits. It's not really sinister: it's mentor fatigue, like when your dad yelled, "You kids shut up back there or I'm going to stop this car and make you walk home."[/QUOTE

who cares about resolution, and what's wrong with a bit of healthy debate. The fact that some topics are uncertain opens them up to debate and makes them interesting. Topics such as flat Earth have already been resolved and hence no debate is possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is censorship on this site?

Censorship on this site refers to the restriction or suppression of certain information or content on the website. This can include removing posts or comments, banning users, or filtering out certain keywords or topics.

Why is censorship necessary on this site?

Censorship is necessary on this site to maintain a safe and respectful online community. It helps prevent harassment, hate speech, and the spread of false information. It also ensures that the site follows legal guidelines and community standards.

Who decides what content is censored on this site?

The site administrators and moderators are responsible for deciding what content is censored on the site. They may have specific guidelines or policies in place, and they use their discretion to remove or restrict content that violates these guidelines.

What types of content are commonly censored on this site?

Commonly censored content on this site includes hate speech, threats, spam, personal attacks, and illegal or explicit material. However, the specific rules and restrictions may vary depending on the website and its community guidelines.

Is censorship on this site a violation of free speech?

Censorship on this site is not a violation of free speech, as the website is a private platform and has the right to moderate its content. However, users are still encouraged to express their opinions and engage in respectful discussions within the boundaries of the site's guidelines.