Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Center-fed Linear Antenna

1. Jun 7, 2016 #1
    Jackson discussed two center-fed linear antenna:
    once at page 412 (section 9.2)
    the other at page 416 (section 9.4)
    I just cannot figure out what are the difference?
    I though they are different method of calculation
    but (9.56) is different from (9.28).

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The difference is that in Sect. 9.2 he describes a pure dipol field corresponding to an approximate current density (9.25), while in Sect. 9.4 he describes an exact solution for an antenna of finite length with current density (9.53). One should of course, also think about the necessary condition on charge and current to fulfill the continuity equation to make sure that the ansatz (9.53) is consistent.

Indeed, here we have
    $$\rho(t,\vec{x})=\rho'(\vec{x}) \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t), \quad \vec{j}(t,\vec{x})=\vec{j}'(\vec{x}) \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t).$$
    From the continuity equation we have
    $$\partial_t \rho+\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{j} = (-\mathrm{i} \omega t \rho'(\vec{x})+\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{j}'(\vec{x}))\exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t) \stackrel{!}{=}0.$$
    Thus we only have to make
    $$\rho'(\vec{x})=-\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\omega} \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{j}'(\vec{x}).$$
    to fulfill the continuity equation, which is an integrability condition for the Maxwell equations.

See also Sect. 9.12 for the comparison with multipole expansions.

4. Jun 10, 2016 #3
    1. Why does his (9.53) has no time-dependent part?
    2. where does your
    $$\rho(t,\vec{x})=\rho'(\vec{x}) \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t), \quad \vec{j}(t,\vec{x})=\vec{j}'(\vec{x}) \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t).$$
    came from? It seems to be a general proof? Everything fufill $\exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t)$ is o.k.?

5. Jun 10, 2016 #4
    2. where does your
    came from? It seems to be a general proof? Everything fufill $$\exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t)$$ is o.k.?

6. Jun 10, 2016 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

That's just the usual ansatz for harmonic time dependence. That's pretty general since you can get any wave from it via Fourier transformation. Plugging in the ansatz into Maxwell's equations you get a set of equations for ##\vec{E}'## etc. That's what Jackson just wrote without the prime.

7. Jun 10, 2016 #6
    How about the first part of my question:

Should everything feed into an antenna have time dependency?
    Sorry, the question may sounds trivial for you. But I am really confused.
    Jackson seems to use different current for the same antenna? (and one more in section 9-12)

8. Jun 10, 2016 #7

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I answered the question. Jackson writes down everything for the time-independent fields, I labeled with a prime. It's just hist notation.

Of course, if the fields are not time-dependent an antenna is pretty useless, because then you just have static fields, which don't do anything to the antenna, and there are no waves propagating. You cannot send a signal with something not changing in time!

9. Jun 13, 2016 #8
    I realized on
    page 412 Jackson discussed small antenna,
    while the other two discussion (page 416 and section 9-12) are all on large antenna.
    Jackson states these in his book.

But I cannot see why page 412 need the "small" assumption?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted