1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center mass question

1. Feb 20, 2006 #1
    Find the center of mass of a homogeneous semicircular plate, let R be the radius of the circle.
    I have think I need to use ingergration to slove this problem, I'm stuck with that R is also changing as if i'm cutting little slices, so does that mean i have to set up two intergra, one for R solve that, and put it into another intergra which is for Ycm?

another question is there is a cube box with no top lays on a coordinate system x,y,z, z is vertical. and the side is 40 cm, I can find xcm=20 and ycm=20 very easily, but i had a hard time to find z, and i used harder way to find z, which is tp set zcm=x, and calculate the weight between the top half of the box and bottom half of the box,
    from there I got Zcm=17.5, and that is not even the right answer, can u guys suggest a better and easier way for me to slove it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2006 #2
  4. Feb 20, 2006 #3
    huh, i got it, 4r/3pi is my answer, is that right?
  5. Feb 20, 2006 #4
    could anybody give me a hint on my question #2, plz
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?