Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of a black hole.

1. Mar 27, 2009 #1
    if u were at the center of a black hole which way would the gravity pull u. if it pulled u at all.
    what do u guys think.

Another question is temperature relative . like if i had something on earth near absolute zero
    but relative to the sun its kinetic energy would be different.
    And how do scientist's know were absolute zero is if they can't get to it how do they know its not further than they think.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you are at the center of a uniform sphere of any density, the net gravitational force on you would be 0. That is because the force due to the mass in any direction is cancelled by equal force in exactly the opposite direction.

As far as absolute 0 is concerned, it is not to difficult to measure the volume of a fixed amount of gas at two different temperatures (at the same pressure), determine the linear function (PV= NRT) giving those two points and then solve for the T that makes V= 0.

4. Mar 27, 2009 #3
    so then would u be weightless.

5. Mar 27, 2009 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

Not really. If you could keep your body's proportions and that the black hole is larger than your body, the center of the black hole if it has a center is inside your body, then only one millimeter apart from the center of the black hole would be attracted toward the center of the black hole. It is of course a totally impossible scenario.

6. Mar 27, 2009 #5
    y is this an impossible scenario , what if a photon was at the center.

7. Mar 27, 2009 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Since no matter can actually exist at the singularity, the question is irrelevant. For any living organism, the tidal forces alone would rip it to shreds long before contact with the centre.

edit: Oops, Cragar... I just realized that this might have been taken as a response to your last post. Not so; it was aimed at the original.

8. Mar 27, 2009 #7

fluidistic

Gold Member

I was talking about a human into a black hole. I don't know enough Physics :frown: to answer your question, but I know that a human wouldn't survive, wouldn't conserve its proportions and I believe a black hole is smaller than a human body, but I'm not sure of the later.

9. Mar 27, 2009 #8
    they have super massive black holes that are like 10^6 times bigger than our sun.

can a photon exist at the singularity?
    And how would time behave at the singularity taking gravitational time dialtion into effect

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  10. Mar 27, 2009 #9
    Careful.

They are 10^6 times more massive than our sun.

11. Mar 27, 2009 #10
    but certainly large enough for a photon to be in the center.

12. Mar 27, 2009 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Simply put, the laws of physics as we know them break down at the singularity. We do not know what happens there. This is the only meaningful answer to your question.

13. Mar 27, 2009 #12
    ok thanks for your answer

14. Mar 30, 2009 #13
    cragar, you might want to take a look at rotating black holes.

15. May 13, 2009 #14
    You mean a black hole or the singularity? A black hole: the more mass it has, the more space it takes up (I think you mean how much space it takes up). For example, a black hole with the mass of our sun would be about 2 miles in radius. A typical black hole has a ten solar mass, and therefore a radius of about 12.5 miles. A million solar mass black hole (like at the center of a galaxy) would have a radius of 2,000,000 miles.

A singularity: Technically, the size of a singularity is zero, according to classical physics. It is just a point, and the laws of physics end at the event horizon. Our physics stop working when you get down to a certain length (Planck length). There is no way of knowing.

16. May 13, 2009 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

For further clarification: This dimension refers to the event horizon, which is merely an abstract value representing the distance from the black hole - closer than which light cannot escape.

There is no physical object that delineates this boundary.

17. Jun 3, 2009 #16
    A black hole has no center.

18. Jun 3, 2009 #17
    Just wondering: is the singularity black, when seen inside event horizon?

Does the "light cannot escape" apply only to event horizon (light from inside cannot cross the event horizon), but inside event horizon of a giant black hole we could actually see the singularity?

19. Jun 3, 2009 #18
    So a black hole has no center of mass.

20. Jun 3, 2009 #19
    It does. All you need to have a center of mass is mass.

If you are a singularity, your center of mass (a point) is "co-pointal" with you.

21. Jun 3, 2009 #20

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Images that we see are from the past. For example, we the Sun as it was 8 minutes ago. The singularity of a spherical black hole is in the future, so we don't an image of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook