How can we prove that the center of a ring is a subring?

• MHB
  • Thread starter cbarker1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Center Ring
In summary, the center of the ring is a subring that contains the identity as well as the center of a division ring is a field.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
Dear Everyone, I am stuck on a portion of the sub-ring criterion. The Problem states:
"The center of a ring $R$ is $\{z\in R| zr=rz \ \forall r\in R\}$. Prove that the center of the ring is a subring that contains the identity as well as the center of a division ring is a field."

I am doing the subring first, then the identity portion second. So here is my attempt:

Let $S$ be the center of the ring. We know that the $0\in S$ since $0\in R$ by the definition of a ring. So $S\ne\emptyset$.
Let $a,b\in S$. Then $ar=rb$. $r(a-b)=0$. Thus $a-b \in S$. Here is where I am stuck as well as the next step in the criterion.

What am I doing correctly or wrongly?

Thanks
Cbarker1

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Cbarker1.

Cbarker1 said:
Let $S$ be the center of the ring. We know that the $0\in S$ since $0\in R$ by the definition of a ring.

Nope. The reason we know $0\in S$ is because $0\cdot r=0=r\cdot $ for all $r\in R$, i.e. $0$ satisfies the condition for membership of $S$.

Similarly $1\in S$. Can you show this?

Cbarker1 said:
Let $a,b\in S$. Then $ar=rb$. $r(a-b)=0$. Thus $a-b \in S$. Here is where I am stuck as well as the next step in the criterion.

Concentrate on the given criterion! An element $x\in R$ is in $S$ iff $x\cdot r=r\cdot x$ for all $x\in R$. You want to show that $S$ is a subring of $R$. It was already established above that $0,1\in S$. It remains to show that $S$ is an additive subgroup of $R$ and that it is closed under multiplication.

Let $a,b\in S$. Then $ar=ra$ and $br=rb$ for all $r\in R$ (why?). We want to show that $a-b\in S$ and $ab\in S$. That is to say, we want to show that for all $r\in R$, $(a-b)r=r(a-b)$ and $(ab)r=r(ab)$. Can you do that? Hints: distributive law for the first one, associativity of multiplication for the second.

The last part of the question asks to show that if $R$ is a division ring then $S$ is a subfield. After all the work done in the first part, the only thing left to do is showing that multiplication in $S$ is commutative. (Note that it need not be commutative in $R$ itself.) Again, let $a,b\in S$. We want to show that $ab=ba$. But this is trivial because $b\in S$ $\implies$ $b\in R$. Hence, given $a\in S$ and $b\in R$, what can you conclude?

I figured out the 1st idea (proving $1 \in S$) as well as the second idea. But I am having trouble with how we have this $ar=ra$ and $br=rb$ to get to this $(ab)r=r(ab)$.

Thanks
Cbarker1

1. What is a subring?

A subring is a subset of a ring that is also a ring itself. This means that it contains the same operations and follows the same rules as the larger ring.

2. How is the center of a ring defined?

The center of a ring is the set of elements that commute with all other elements in the ring. In other words, for any element a in the center, a*b = b*a for all elements b in the ring.

3. What is the significance of the center of a ring?

The center of a ring is important because it contains elements that are invariant under the ring's operations. This means that these elements will remain the same regardless of how they are combined with other elements in the ring.

4. How is a subring related to the center of a ring?

The center of a ring is always a subring, as it is a subset of the original ring that follows the same rules and operations. However, not all subrings are centers of rings.

5. Can a ring have multiple subrings that are also centers?

Yes, a ring can have multiple subrings that are also centers. This is because different subsets of elements within a ring can satisfy the criteria for being a center, as long as they commute with all other elements in the ring.