Center of Black Hole: Exploring the Relationship Between Space & Time

In summary, according to some people, the center of a black hole is a point in time, not a place in space. This might be what the person trying to explain was trying to say in their original quote.
cangus
Has anyone ever heard that the center of a black hole is a point in time rather than a place in space? If so, can someone please explain this to me? A Black hole in in physical reality (space) right? So, how is the center a point in time?

Physics news on Phys.org
cangus said:
Has anyone ever heard that the center of a black hole is a point in time rather than a place in space? If so, can someone please explain this to me? A Black hole in in physical reality (space) right? So, how is the center a point in time?
Sorry. Never heard that.

Pete

The singuliarity is the future for the people droped into the BH, but not another 3-space point with equal time. I think in this sense we say so.

regards
wangyi

cangus said:

I haven't heard anyone say that either, and it doesn't make a lot of sene to me.

However, it is true that the Schwarzschild "R" coordinate (the radius) becomes timelike inside the event horizon of a Schwarzschild black hole - while the Schwarzschild 't' coordinate becomes spacelike. Possibly this is what someone was trying to say (not very well) with your original quote.

Note that in spite of the switch of the roles of the Schwarzschild r & t coordinates, there are still three space and one time coordinates inside a black hole, just as there are three space and one time coordiante outside a black hole.

cangus said:

Forget relativity for a moment, and think about the x-y-z coordinates for the physical 3-dimensional space. Fix z = 3 and let let x and y roam over all possible values. This corresponds to a 2-dimensional plane in space - the z = 3 slice.

Now move to the spacetime of special relativity, and consider an inertial reference frame. Set t = 3 and let x, y, and z roam over all possible values. A 3-dimension spacelike hyperplane results that represents, for the chosen reference frame, the single instant in time t = 0. On a standard spacetime diagram, this is represented as a horizontal line because the x and z spatial dimensions are suppressed.

Finally, consider Schwarzschild coordinates for the spacetime of an 'eternal" black hole. As pervect has already noted, inside the event horizon r is a timelike coordinate. A singularity "occurs" at the "centre" r = 0. Since r is a timelike coordinate, the singularity is spacelike. With 2 dimensions supressed, the (future branch of the) singularity r = 0 is represented on: a Kruskal-Szekeres diagram by a spacelike hyperbola; a Penrose diagram by a jagged horizontal line. Very roughly, these lines (actually hypersurfaces) correspond to the "instant in time" r = 0.

OF course, because of of its singular nature, r = 0 is not actually allowed as part of the spacetime manifold.

Regards,
George

cangus said:

Havent heard of something like that but I guess I will like to tell you that near a black hole , space-time coordinates reverse themselves.Like you cannot avoid next thursday in spacetime real universe , near a black hole, you cannot avoid hitting singularity, that is r-----> 0.

Maybe your ststement, though unheard of , might have have to do something with interchange of space-time coordinates , that is the job of 'time always moving forward' is exchanged by 'r--->0'

.BJ.

What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. This creates a point of infinite density and zero volume, known as the singularity.

How do black holes form?

Black holes can form when a massive star runs out of fuel and collapses under its own gravity. This collapse causes the star's core to become extremely dense, creating a black hole.

What is the center of a black hole?

The center of a black hole is called the singularity. It is a point of infinite density and zero volume where the laws of physics as we know them break down.

How does a black hole affect space and time?

A black hole's immense gravity causes a distortion in space and time, known as spacetime. This distortion means that the closer you get to a black hole, the slower time moves and the more space is curved.

Can we explore the center of a black hole?

At this time, it is not possible to explore the center of a black hole. The extreme gravitational forces would make it incredibly dangerous, and our current technology is not advanced enough to withstand such conditions. However, scientists continue to study and theorize about black holes to better understand their nature and the relationship between space and time.