Center of buoyancy of a blimp?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the center of buoyancy for a model blimp envelope. The speaker has already calculated the total volume and surface area of the envelope and is now looking to determine the point where a string and weight can be attached to keep the blimp horizontal. The other speaker suggests that this point would be on the vertical line passing through the center of gravity and provides a resource for calculating the longitudinal center of buoyancy using a curve of sectional areas.
HarryA
I am looking to calculate the center of buoyancy of a model blimp envelope.
I have calculated various cross sections of the envelope to get the total
volume (and thus the lift) and surface area.

By center of buoyancy I mean the point that one could tie a string and
add a weight and the blimp would remain horizontal.

I am working on software for model blimp developers.
see: http://bobbear.org/rcblimp/blimpsw/index.htm

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you will find that the center of buoyancy as you define it is on the vertical line passing through the center of gravity. The point of attachment will be the point where that line comes out the bottom edge of the blimp.

It seems you are looking to calculate the longitudinal center of buoyancy (LCB) for your blimp.

This is a standard calculation used often in boat design. The following article shows how you can take your curve of sectional areas and calculate the LCB (See pp. 13-14):

Attachments

• Hydrostatic and Stability.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,715

1. What is the center of buoyancy of a blimp?

The center of buoyancy of a blimp refers to the point at which the weight of the blimp is evenly distributed. It is the point where the upward force of buoyancy acts, counteracting the downward force of gravity.

2. How is the center of buoyancy determined for a blimp?

The center of buoyancy for a blimp is determined by the shape and volume of the blimp. It is typically located near the center of the blimp's envelope or body.

3. Why is the center of buoyancy important for a blimp?

The center of buoyancy is important for a blimp because it affects the stability and handling of the blimp. If the center of buoyancy is not properly located, the blimp may be difficult to control and could potentially tip over in strong winds.

4. How does the center of buoyancy change as a blimp moves through the air?

The center of buoyancy of a blimp shifts as it moves through the air. When the blimp is stationary, the center of buoyancy is directly below the center of gravity. However, as the blimp moves, the center of buoyancy shifts towards the direction of motion.

5. Can the center of buoyancy be adjusted on a blimp?

Yes, the center of buoyancy can be adjusted on a blimp by changing the weight distribution or adding or removing helium from different compartments. This allows for better control and stability of the blimp during flight.