Center of Curvature: PhysicsClassroom.com

In summary, the center of curvature is the point in the center of a sphere from which the mirror was sliced. This point is known as the "center of curvature" and is important because it is where the curve of the mirror begins.
gracy
As per ww.physicsclassroom.com/class/refln/Lesson-3/The-Anatomy-of-a-Curved-Mirror

The point in the center of the sphere from which the mirror was sliced is known as the center of curvature,I am not able to understand this.Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the propensity to not describe exactly what you are having a problem with. Often times, your question is very terse and short without giving much explanation on what you had attempted to do to understand it. Did you try to Google it and look it up? If you did, what did you find and what was still giving you problems? If you did not, why not?

Does this picture explain what a "center of curvature" means?

How-to-Draw-a-Circle-141.png

Zz.

gracy said:
The point in the center of the sphere from which the mirror was sliced is known as the center of curvature,I am not able to understand this.
http://www.edu.pe.ca/gray/class_pages/krcutcliffe/physics521/17reflection/definitions/17%20definitions%20C%20F%20f%20m.htm

You mean we should complete the curved surface by making a circle and then center of this circle will be called "center of curvature" .Right?

gracy said:
You mean we should complete the curved surface by making a circle and then center of this circle will be called "center of curvature" .Right?

That is not necessary! Just looking at an arc of the circle is sufficient. I can take the pencil and draw just a segment of the circle. That section alone tells me where the center of curvature is.

You still never answer/address the rest of my question to you.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You have the propensity to not describe exactly what you are having a problem with.
Propensity can be changed,right?I will try to work on it if this is the case.
ZapperZ said:
Often times, your question is very terse and short without giving much explanation on what you had attempted to do to understand it
Sorry.
ZapperZ said:
Did you try to Google it and look it up?
Yes,but didn't find any explanation useful.
ZapperZ said:
If you did, what did you find
ww.physicsclassroom.com/class/refln/Lesson-3/The-Anatomy-of-a-Curved-Mirror
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_curvature
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/center of curvature
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/centre+of+curvature
All the definitions were hard to follow.Don't know from where @ A.T and @zapper Z got such nice and easy explanation.But yes I know I should not make excuses.I should admit that I showed less effort otherwise I too should have got these nice explanations .Because where there is a will ,there is a way!

ZapperZ said:
You still never answer/address the rest of my question to you.
I was answering A.T. post.Is it still not correct?

ZapperZ said:
That is not necessary! Just looking at an arc of the circle is sufficient. I can take the pencil and draw just a segment of the circle. That section alone tells me where the center of curvature is.

To expand on this, the reason is that the circle looks the same everywhere because it is so symmetrical. If you have one tiny segment of a circle, you know what the rest will look like. And thus you know the center of that circle, the center of curvature.

Likes gracy
One way to determine the center of curvature would be a line perpendicular to the curved path, with length equal to the radius of curvature. Wiki article (includes link to radius of curvature):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_curvature

Likes gracy
Centre Finder...

Centre Finder.png

kell5.jpg

1. What is the center of curvature in physics?

The center of curvature in physics refers to the center point of a curved surface or object. It is the point at which the surface would intersect if it were extended to form a complete circle. In optics, it is the imaginary point at which all reflected or refracted rays converge.

2. How is the center of curvature calculated?

The center of curvature can be calculated by using the radius of curvature and the vertex of the curved surface. The center of curvature is located at a distance equal to the radius of curvature from the vertex along the normal line to the vertex.

3. What is the relationship between center of curvature and focal length?

In optics, the center of curvature and focal length are directly related. The focal length is half the distance between the center of curvature and the vertex of the curved surface. This relationship is described by the formula: F = R/2, where F is the focal length and R is the radius of curvature.

4. What are some real-world applications of the concept of center of curvature?

The concept of center of curvature has numerous applications in everyday life. It is used in designing lenses for glasses, telescopes, and cameras. It is also used in the construction of curved mirrors for reflecting telescopes and in determining the shape of contact lenses for correcting vision.

5. How does the center of curvature affect the behavior of light rays?

The center of curvature plays a crucial role in the behavior of light rays. Light rays tend to converge towards the center of curvature in a convex surface, while they diverge away from the center of curvature in a concave surface. This phenomenon is used in various optical devices to manipulate and focus light rays.