Is There a "Center of Force" for the Other Three Fundamental Forces?

In summary, the concept of a center of gravity can be extended to any system by using forces instead of gravitational force. However, the idea of a center of electromagnetism is meaningless as electromagnetism is not a force, but rather a phenomenon. The first moment is also known as the moment arm, while the second moment is the moment of inertia. There is no such thing as a color moment arm for the strong force, as light has no mass. However, the concept of color charges for the strong nuclear force is still not fully understood.
Telos
It's generally common knowledge that gravitational systems have a "center of gravity." Is there such a thing for the other three fundamental forces?

For example, if one had a number of bar magnets on a tabletop, would there be a "center of electromagnetism?" It seems difficult to picture because of electromagnetic charge. Perhaps it only occurs in special cases? Might there be more than one center?

Physics news on Phys.org
The center of gravity is a center of force. It is the balance point between all the mass multiplied by gravity, multiplied by is lever arm. m*g*l.

The COG can be extended to any system. You just need to use forces in place of gravitational force. In other words, F=mg in this case. So the moment arms are (m*g*l)=(m*g)*l = F*l

F is any arbitrary force, be it gravitational, electrical, aerodynamic, magnetic.

Center of electromagnetism is meaningless. electromagnetism is not a force, just a word to describe a phenomenon.

The center of gravity is called the fist moment (because there's (l)^1,... get it first-one).

The second moment is the moment of inertia: m*g*(l)^2 (because there's squared (l)...get it, power of two).

Last edited:
Oh, interesting. I took Adv. Physics in high school and this is the first time I've ever heard of a "moment arm." I'm looking it up and learning a lot. Thank you very much.

So is there a "color moment" for the strong force or is it more complicated?

A moment arm is just a lever arm. Its the between the force and the axis of rotation.

No such thing as a color moment arm. Light has no mass, it can't cause a moment or a force.

cyrusabdollahi said:
No such thing as a color moment arm. Light has no mass, it can't cause a moment or a force.
Oh, I meant the "color charges" for the strong nuclear force.

I don't know what a color charge is, I am not a physicist. -sorry.

1. What are the three fundamental forces?

The three fundamental forces are the strong nuclear force, the weak nuclear force, and the electromagnetic force. These forces are responsible for the interactions between particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. Is there a specific point or location where these forces converge?

No, there is no specific point or location where the three fundamental forces converge. These forces act on particles throughout space and can vary in strength depending on the distance between particles.

3. Is there a "center of force" for the other three fundamental forces?

No, there is no "center of force" for the other three fundamental forces. Each force acts independently on particles and does not have a central point of origin.

4. What is the role of gravity in relation to the other three fundamental forces?

Gravity is considered a fundamental force, but it is not classified as one of the other three. It is responsible for the attraction between objects with mass and is significantly weaker than the other forces.

5. Are there any theories or hypotheses about a possible "center of force" for the other three fundamental forces?

There have been some theories and hypotheses about a possible "center of force" for the other three fundamental forces, but there is currently no scientific evidence to support these ideas. The concept of a center of force is still being studied and researched by scientists.