Center of Gravity and a Balanced TV Stand

• Thread starter billycar
  • Start date
nvn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
billycar: The relative stability at xp = 5.522 inch is 1.127. Therefore, the horizontal tipping force, applied at a height of 63 inch above the stand bottom surface, would be F1(5.522) = 1.127*F1min = 1.127*(17.42 lbf), for xp = 5.522 inch. Tipping is from front to back, and back to front. A negative relative stability value means F1(xp) is applied in the back-to-front direction, instead of front-to-back.

The stability at xp = -1.19 inch is currently slightly higher than at xp = 8.66 inch. You can pick the stability you prefer.

I think I'll try mounting the Pole Pipes to the back: 26 (-1.19) lbf > 24 (8.660) lbf > 20 (5.522) lbf.

This design will also keep the top and shelf space for the Audio & Video components that would be lost due to my boring holes down into the cabinet ... although I liked the design idea of the pvc pipe pressure rings allowing fixed and up/down movement of the vertical Poles.

After trying the back mounting position, I could always go to the other design.

One other observation: even though the other positions have varying degrees of stability, the overall setup is still relatively stable. F1min = 17.42 lbf is more than a subtle breeze hitting the TV ...

Oh, what is the explanation for the change of sign for F1 between 8.660 and 9.0?

nvn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
billycar: To be rigorous, we should have written F1(8.660)/F1min = +/-1.390, instead of 1.390. xp = 8.660 inch is a transition point, where the assembly stability is exactly the same in the forward and backward directions.

Finished project. (Background artwork removed)

Enjoyed the path to arrive at a solution: rear mounting of Pipes and Poles, providing optimal stabilization, and more efficient use of Stand surface area for A/V equipment.

I might now replace the PVC with metal pipe, and rest them on 2 swivel wheels, making it easier to move from one location to another, and to simply swivel the entire setup from left to right.

Attachments

Last edited:
Final Design

Stand Pipes using Black Iron Pipe

Casters Tap Set in Pipe Caps

TV Mount Shown in Portrait and Landscape Orientations

Attachments