1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of gravity question

1. Apr 8, 2010 #1
    A skateboarder with his board can be modeled as a particle of mass 73.0 kg, located at his center of mass (which we will study in a later chapter). As shown in the figure below, the skateboarder starts from rest in a crouching position at one lip of a half-pipe (point A). The half-pipe is a dry water channel, forming one half of a cylinder of radius 6.20 m with its axis horizontal. On his descent, the skateboarder moves without friction so that his center of mass moves through one quarter of a circle of radius 5.70 m. Immediately after passing point B, he stands up and raises his arms, lifting his center of mass from 0.500 m to 0.880 m above the concrete (point C). To account for the conversion of chemical into mechanical energy, model his legs as doing work by pushing him vertically up, with a constant force equal to the normal force nB, over a distance of 0.380 m. (You will be able to solve this problem with a more accurate model described in a later chapter.)
    d. What is the work done on the skateboarder's body in this process

(mv^2)/r; W=F delta r

I calculated the normal force to be 2146.26N which is mg + (mv^2)/r. However, knowing the work equation, what force do I use to calculate this work? Also, I have the angle as 0.. is that correct? My answer seems to be wrong.
    2146.26 x 0.38m
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted