1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of mass and moments

1. Apr 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A lamina has the shape of the region in the first quadrant that is bounded by the graphs of y = sinx and y= cosx, between x = 0 and x = π/4. Find the centre of mass if the density is δ(x,y) = y.

2. Relevant equations

I know all the equations for moments and center of mass but im confused about how to go about this problem. I dont know how to convert this to polar. The question is related to the lecture on polar integrals so im assuming thats what has to be done???

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi kieranl! :smile:
    Noooo …

you only convert coordinates if it makes the job easier …

for example, if the density function was δ(r,θ) …

in this case, δ = y (and also sin(rsinθ) is horrible :yuck:), so the easiest thing is to stay with the (x,y) coordinates. :wink:

4. Apr 27, 2009 #3
    Heya Kieranl

This is like your third curtin engineering question you've posted, so i'll assume you're probably doing mechanical engineering?

Alls I gotta say is that this one took me like 5 pages of working out. I double checked it with maple so I know its right, but maybe i did it in some really long and complicated way. I didnt convert to polar format, although I wasnt sure if I was supposed to. I was just left with 4 integrals which I had to solve step by step.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook