Finding Center of Mass for a Lamina in First Quadrant

In summary, Kieran was trying to find the centre of mass for a lamina with a given density, but he was confused about how to convert coordinates to polar. He eventually figured out that he needed to stay with (x,y) coordinates, and that it took a lot of effort to do so.
kieranl

Homework Statement

A lamina has the shape of the region in the first quadrant that is bounded by the graphs of y = sinx and y= cosx, between x = 0 and x = π/4. Find the centre of mass if the density is δ(x,y) = y.

Homework Equations

I know all the equations for moments and center of mass but I am confused about how to go about this problem. I don't know how to convert this to polar. The question is related to the lecture on polar integrals so I am assuming that's what has to be done?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kieranl! :smile:
kieranl said:
A lamina has the shape of the region in the first quadrant that is bounded by the graphs of y = sinx and y= cosx, between x = 0 and x = π/4. Find the centre of mass if the density is δ(x,y) = y.

I know all the equations for moments and center of mass but I am confused about how to go about this problem. I don't know how to convert this to polar. The question is related to the lecture on polar integrals so I am assuming that's what has to be done?

Noooo …

you only convert coordinates if it makes the job easier …

for example, if the density function was δ(r,θ) …

in this case, δ = y (and also sin(rsinθ) is horrible :yuck:), so the easiest thing is to stay with the (x,y) coordinates. :wink:

Heya Kieranl

This is like your third curtin engineering question you've posted, so i'll assume you're probably doing mechanical engineering?

Alls I got to say is that this one took me like 5 pages of working out. I double checked it with maple so I know its right, but maybe i did it in some really long and complicated way. I didnt convert to polar format, although I wasnt sure if I was supposed to. I was just left with 4 integrals which I had to solve step by step.

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in an object or system where the mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is the point where an object can be balanced or rotates around.

2. How do you calculate the center of mass?

The center of mass can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the particles in an object or system. This can be done by multiplying the mass of each particle by its distance from a reference point, then dividing the sum of these products by the total mass.

3. What is the difference between center of mass and center of gravity?

The center of mass is the point where the mass of an object or system is evenly distributed, while the center of gravity is the point where the force of gravity acts on an object or system. In uniform gravitational fields, these two points coincide, but in non-uniform fields, the center of mass may not be the same as the center of gravity.

4. How does the center of mass affect an object's stability?

The lower an object's center of mass is, the more stable it will be. This is because a lower center of mass means that there is less potential for the object to tip over or lose balance. Additionally, a wider base and a larger mass can also increase an object's stability.

5. What is the concept of moments in terms of center of mass?

Moments refer to the turning effect of a force applied on an object or system. In terms of center of mass, moments are used to calculate the rotational equilibrium of an object or system. The moment of an object or system is equal to the product of the force applied and the distance from the center of mass to the point where the force is applied.