Calculating Tensions in a Beam Supported by Two Wires

In summary, a man is 1 meter from a beam that is held up by two wires that are perpendicular to the beam. The beam is 750 N and the man is 100kg. The tension of the two wires is 1730 N. The torque on the beam is -980 N (man)*1 meter (away from my pivot point of the left end of the beam) * sin(90) making it -980 N. The tension of the beam is -750 N. Lastly, T2 is 423.5 N.
y3ahright

Homework Statement

A man is standing 1 meter in from the left of a 4 meter long beam. The beam is held up by two wires perpendicular to the beam. The beam is 750 N and the man is 100kg what are the tensions of the two wires.

Homework Equations

F = ma

Torque = F x d

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that because the beam is not accelerating the sum of the forces is 0

so Fy = -750 - 980 + T1 + T2 = 0

T1+T2 = 1730

T2 = 1730 - T1

Torque (I put my pivot point at the first tension wire making it 0)

Torue = F x d = T2 * 4Sin(90) - 1730

T2 *4 = 1730

T2 = 423.5

1730 - 423.5 = 1306.5 = T1

Now the book says 1130 T1 and 610 T2

I know for sure I'm missing something with center of mass I am just not sure what.

Physics news on Phys.org
y3ahright said:

Homework Statement

A man is standing 1 meter in from the left of a 4 meter long beam. The beam is held up by two wires perpendicular to the beam. The beam is 750 N and the man is 100kg what are the tensions of the two wires.

Homework Equations

F = ma

Torque = F x d

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that because the beam is not accelerating the sum of the forces is 0

so Fy = -750 - 980 + T1 + T2 = 0

T1+T2 = 1730

T2 = 1730 - T1
yes
Torque (I put my pivot point at the first tension wire making it 0)

Torue = F x d = T2 * 4Sin(90) - 1730
what is this? Are you taking the torque from the man and beam weights as (1730 N)*(1 m)? The man's weight acts at 1 m, but the beam's weight does not act there.
I know for sure I'm missing something with center of mass I am just not sure what.
You are not summing moments correctly. Where does the beam's weight of 980 N act on the beam ( how far from the left end?)?

PhanthomJay said:
yes what is this? Are you taking the torque from the man and beam weights as (1730 N)*(1 m)? The man's weight acts at 1 m, but the beam's weight does not act there.You are not summing moments correctly. Where does the beam's weight of 980 N act on the beam ( how far from the left end?)?

so i should use Torque = -980 N (man)*1 meter (away from my pivot point of the left end of the beam) * sin(90) making it -980

and then add that with the -750N (beam) * 2meters (center of mass from the beam because it is uniform so it's l/2 or 4/2)

and that would leave T2* 4 meters because it's on the other end of the beam?

y3ahright said:
so i should use Torque = -980 N (man)*1 meter (away from my pivot point of the left end of the beam) * sin(90) making it -980

and then add that with the -750N (beam) * 2meters (center of mass from the beam because it is uniform so it's l/2 or 4/2)

and that would leave T2* 4 meters because it's on the other end of the beam?
yes, good, add em up and solve for T2, then T1 will follow. As a check on your work, try summing moments about T2, the right end. The number you get for T1 should agree.

1. What is the center of mass and why is it important?

The center of mass is the point at which the entire mass of an object can be considered to be concentrated for the purpose of calculating its motion. It is important in understanding the stability and movement of objects, and is crucial in areas such as engineering and physics.

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass is calculated by dividing the total mass of an object by the sum of all its individual masses multiplied by their respective distances from a chosen reference point.

3. How does the center of mass affect the balance of an object?

The center of mass plays a critical role in an object's balance. If the center of mass is above the base of support, the object will be stable. However, if the center of mass falls outside of the base of support, the object will become unbalanced and may fall over.

4. What is tension and how is it related to the center of mass?

Tension is a pulling force that is transmitted through a string, cable, or other similar object. The center of mass is related to tension in that if an object is suspended from a single point, the tension on the string will be directed through the center of mass.

5. How does the center of mass change when an object is in motion?

The center of mass remains the same regardless of an object's motion, as long as the mass distribution within the object remains constant. However, the position of the center of mass may change if the mass distribution changes, such as when an object's shape is altered or when additional mass is added or removed.