1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of Mass - Ax

1. Feb 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    alley club-ax consists of a symmetrical 8 kg stone attached to the end of a uniform 2.5 kg stick that is 98 cm long. How far is the center of mass from the angle end of the club-ax?

2. Relevant equations
    Xcm = (sum) x*m / m

3. The attempt at a solution

I dont know how to approach this.. do i put the ax on a coordinate plane?
    and it says that it is it is symmetrical and of uniform weight, does that give extra information that i should be using?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Not sure which is the angle end, but say it is the handle. You can reverse it if not.

The handle is .98m and uniform density. You could take the integral of that to find the center of mass of just the handle, but I'm sure you know already it's in the middle for the handle part. To complete the sum of the moments for the whole shillelagh, then add the moment of the stone at the end.

So with ms the mass of the stone, mh the mass of the handle, and xh the center of mass of the handle,

Xcm = (xh*mh + L*ms)/(mh + ms)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook