Understanding Center of Mass Distribution in Rotational Equilibrium

In summary, the center of mass is not always where the masses on both sides are equally distributed. It depends on how the mass is distributed within the body itself. The center of mass divides the body in such a way that the first moment of mass on either side is equal. In the case of the baseball bat, the center of mass is closer to the left side due to the uneven distribution of mass. This can be seen through the equal but opposite torques on both sides of the center of mass.
omarMihilmy
Isn't the point of center of mass is where the masses on both sides are equally distributed?

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1387907224.217369.jpg

Why is it not the case here?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by 'equally distributed'?

I mean that if i have this pencil
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1387908360.991547.jpg

The right side's mass is equal to the left hand's side length!

omarMihilmy said:
Isn't the point of center of mass is where the masses on both sides are equally distributed?
The bat is wider at the top and thinner at the bottom.So the C.G will not be in the middle of the bat.

I don't understand what yu mean here.Masses on both sides should equal.
The masses on both sides of C.G is same,so your answer is wrong.

Okay great my answer is c) both sides are equal the books answer is b) that the right side is greater why is that?

omarMihilmy said:
I mean that if i have this pencilView attachment 65062
The right side's mass is equal to the left hand's side length!
Length?

Right side's mass is equal to the left side's mass.I think it's a typo.Please correct it

Serway would never have a Typo it clearly is correct for some reason

omarMihilmy said:
Serway would never have a Typo it clearly is correct for some reason
All the members of PF would deny that "If i have a pencil,the right side's mass is equal to the left hand's side length!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_mass

There is a misunderstanding !

Okay let's start fresh from the original question

The bat has a center of mass closer the left side and I am asked to see if the masses are equal or if one side is greater than the other?

I have an understanding that the center of mass divides the system into two parts of equal mass. Is this true or not? If not then how do I know from the picture given in my first post that which side has a greater mass?

omarMihilmy said:
I have an understanding that the center of mass divides the system into two parts of equal mass. Is this true or not? If not then how do I know from the picture given in my first post that which side has a greater mass?

The center of mass most emphatically does not divide a body into two parts having equal mass. The location of the center of mass depends on how the mass is distributed within the body itself.

I understand your confusion, however. With bodies like a pencil or a uniform steel bar, yes, the amount of mass on either side of the c.o.m. will be equal, but this result applies only to such bodies where the mass is distributed uniformly and evenly about an axis of symmetry and is not a general rule.

The baseball bat, unfortunately, does not have its mass distributed evenly over its length.

What the center of mass does, however, is divide a body such that the first moment of mass on either side of the c.o.m. is equal.

The weight of the baseball bat is not equal in all spots. Since the bat is wider at one end, it weighs more on that end. That's the reason why the center of mass of an object with some density can be represented as an integral as the volume changes.

iRaid said:
The weight of the baseball bat is not equal in all spots. Since the bat is wider at one end, it weighs more on that end. That's the reason why the center of mass of an object with some density can be represented as an integral as the volume changes.
No, that misses the point. SteamKing's answer is the correct one.
Consider for example two baseball bats joined in a line, the thin end of one being joined to the fat end of the other. By your reasoning, the CoM could be at the join, but it isn't.

SteamKing is correct about the the torque being equal (but opposite) on both sides of a COM, and not necessarily the masses. Imagine joining the two ends with a massless bar of some sort and placing a triangle underneath that massless bar such that the two halves are in translational and rotational equilibrium. Now imagine the COM of each piece and remember that the clockwise torque has to equal the counter clockwise torque to maintain rotational equilibrium. The COM of the fat end will be closer to the pivot whereas that of the thin end is further from the pivot. For the torques to be equal, the mass on the right (fat end) has to be greater to make up for a shorter length to the pivot as compared to the thin end.

What is the definition of center of mass distribution?

The center of mass distribution refers to the average location of the mass of an object or system. It is the point at which the entire mass of the object or system can be considered to be concentrated.

How is center of mass distribution calculated?

The center of mass distribution can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the individual points of mass in the object or system. This is done by multiplying the mass of each point by its distance from a chosen reference point, and then dividing the sum of these values by the total mass.

What factors can affect the center of mass distribution?

The center of mass distribution can be affected by the shape, size, and mass distribution of an object or system. It can also be influenced by external forces, such as gravity or applied forces, which can change the position of the center of mass.

Why is the center of mass distribution important in physics?

The center of mass distribution is important in physics because it helps to describe the motion and stability of objects or systems. It is also used in calculations of rotational motion and in predicting the effects of collisions between objects.

How does the center of mass distribution differ from the center of gravity?

The center of mass distribution and the center of gravity are often used interchangeably, but they are not exactly the same. The center of mass distribution takes into account the distribution of mass within an object or system, while the center of gravity only considers the effects of gravity on the object or system.