1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CENTER OF MASS: finding final position of skater 3 given final positions of others

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three ice skaters are on a perfectly smooth frictionless lake. They are together at rest at the middle of the lake when they push off on each other. When skater #1 (m1 = 80 kg) is 6.00 meters EAST of the starting position, and skater #2 (m2 = 60 kg) is 6.00 meters NORTH of the starting position, how far away is skater #3 (m3 = 40) kg from the starting position?

My first intuition was to solve it this way:

Xcom = ((80kg)(6m)+(60kg)(6m) + (40kg)(X3))/180 kg

If I set Xcom to zero, X3 = 3m. Is it that simple?
    However, I think I need to break it apart into components, but I'm still unclear about how to do this.

Please help!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: CENTER OF MASS: finding final position of skater 3 given final positions of other

Yes, treat the x (East) and y (North) components separately. What are the x and y components of the position of masses #1 and #2?

4. Nov 6, 2011 #3
    Re: CENTER OF MASS: finding final position of skater 3 given final positions of other

Xcom = ((80kg)(+6m) + [STRIKE](60kg)(0m)[/STRIKE] + (40kg)(X3))/180 kg

Ycom = ([STRIKE](80kg)(0m)[/STRIKE] + (60kg)(+6m) + (40kg)(X3))/180 kg

Where do I go from here?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  5. Nov 6, 2011 #4

Doc Al

Good.
    That's exactly what you're supposed to do.
    Show how you got that.

6. Nov 6, 2011 #5

Doc,

I didn't find X3=3m by breaking it up into components. I found X3 by setting Xcom = 0 = ((80kg)(6m)+(60kg)(6m)+(40kg)(X3))/180kg in my original format and solving for it algebraically.

But if I break it into components and set Xcom and Ycom to zero:

Xcom=0= ((80kg)(6m) + 0 + (40kg)(X3))/180
    I get..Xx3= -12 m

Ycom=0=((0 + (60kg)(6m) + (40kg)(X3))/180
    I get..Xy3 = -9 m

I'm missing the point.

7. Nov 7, 2011 #6

Doc Al

Your original approach is incorrect, since it mixes up the x and y coordinates.

Good! You've just found the position coordinates of mass #3:

(X3, Y3) = (-12, -9)

Use those coordinates to find its distance from the starting point.

8. Nov 7, 2011 #7

Thank you very much Doc!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook