Finding the Center of Mass for a Loaded Ferryboat on a Square Raft

In summary, the centre of mass of the loaded ferryboat is located at (0,0) relative to the centre of the raft.
fiziks09

Homework Statement

A square uniform raft, 18m by 18m of mass 6200kg is used as a ferry boat. if three cars each of mass 1350 kg occupy the NE, SE, and SW corners, determine the Centre of mass of the loaded ferryboat relative to the centre of the raft

Homework Equations

Center of mass (CM) = [tex]\sum mixi/M[/tex]
where M = m1 + m2...mn

The Attempt at a Solution

The centre of mass i think, is going to be two-dimensional i.e x-axis and y-axis
So i drew my co-ordinate system and came up with the following

CM(x-axis) = 1350(18) + 1350(18) +1350(-18)/3(1350)+6200 = 2.3i

The -18 is for the SW car where x is negative.

CM(y-axis) = 1350(18) + 1350(-18) +1350(-18)/3(1350) + 6200= -2.3j

i have two -18's coz for the SW and NW where y is negative..

I used 18 as the distance for all three cars since the raft is 18m by 18m. But my solution is wrong. Please any help will be very appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
fiziks09 said:
I used 18 as the distance for all three cars since the raft is 18m by 18m.
Put the origin of your coordinate system in the center of the raft.

Okay... i already had that in mind while drawing up that solution. Am i missing something??

fiziks09 said:
Okay... i already had that in mind while drawing up that solution. Am i missing something??
There are 4 masses involved--the raft and the three cars. Measured from the center of the raft, what are their coordinates?

Doc Al said:
There are 4 masses involved--the raft and the three cars. Measured from the center of the raft, what are their coordinates?

Well i think that

the raft has (0,0)
the NE car has (18,18)
the SE car has (18,-18)
the SW car has (-18,-18)

fiziks09 said:
Well i think that

the raft has (0,0)
Good.
the NE car has (18,18)
the SE car has (18,-18)
the SW car has (-18,-18)
No. 18m is the length of the sides of the raft. What's the distance from the center to the sides?

ohh.. that would be half the distance right?... which is 9m

fiziks09 said:
ohh.. that would be half the distance right?... which is 9m
Yes, now you're cooking. So redo your calculations.

yeah its perfectly okay now.. Thanks a bunch for figuring it out.

What is the concept of center of mass for a raft?

The center of mass for a raft is the point at which the entire mass of the raft is considered to be concentrated. It is the point at which the raft would balance perfectly if it were placed on a fulcrum.

Why is the center of mass important for a raft?

The center of mass is important for a raft because it determines the stability and balance of the raft. It also affects the raft's ability to maneuver and handle waves and other forces.

How is the center of mass calculated for a raft?

The center of mass for a raft can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the individual masses of all the components of the raft. This can be done by dividing the total mass of the raft by the total distance of all the components from the chosen origin point.

What factors affect the center of mass for a raft?

The center of mass for a raft is affected by the distribution of weight, shape and size of the raft, and any external forces acting on the raft. For example, if there is uneven weight distribution on the raft, the center of mass will shift accordingly.

How does the center of mass affect the stability of a raft?

The location of the center of mass affects the stability of a raft. If the center of mass is low and aligned with the base of the raft, it will be more stable and less likely to capsize. However, if the center of mass is high or off-center, the raft will be less stable and more prone to tipping over.