What Is the Center of Mass Position for Three Aligned Cubes?

In summary, the problem involves three cubes of different sizes placed next to each other along a straight line. The task is to find the position of the center of mass of this system, assuming the cubes are made of the same material and one of them has a side length of 3.5 cm. Using the equation for the center of mass, the correct solution is found by taking the volume of each cube and multiplying it by its distance from the origin, then adding these values and dividing by the sum of the volumes. The mistake in the previous attempt was using the area of the cubes instead of their volume.
Bones

Homework Statement

Three cubes, of side L1, L2, and L3, are placed next to one another (in contact) with their centers along a straight line as shown in the figure. What is the position, along this line, of the CM of this system? Assume the cubes are made of the same uniform material and L1= 3.5 cm.

http://www.webassign.net/gianpse4/9-44.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Xcm=73.5cm^3(d)*1.75cm+294cm^3(d)*7cm+661.5cm^3(d)+15.75cm/73.5(d)+294(d)+661.5(d)
Xcm=12.25
This is not correct and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I got the area of each cube by multiplying 6*side^2 and then multiplied that by each location of the center of mass and divided by sum of the masses. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I figured it out. I was using area and I needed to use volume for a 3D shape.

Hello,

I would first like to clarify that the center of mass is a point in a system where the mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is the point where the system can be balanced on a pivot without any rotation occurring.

To solve this problem, we can use the formula for the center of mass of a system of particles:

Xcm = (m1x1 + m2x2 + m3x3) / (m1 + m2 + m3)

Where Xcm is the position of the center of mass along the line, m1, m2, and m3 are the masses of each cube, and x1, x2, and x3 are the positions of their respective centers of mass along the line.

Since all the cubes are made of the same material and have the same dimensions, we can assume that they have the same mass. Therefore, we can simplify the formula to:

Xcm = (x1 + x2 + x3) / 3

Now, we need to find the positions of the centers of mass, x1, x2, and x3. We can do this by dividing the length of each cube by 2, as the center of mass of a cube is located at its geometric center. So, we get:

x1 = L1/2 = 3.5/2 = 1.75 cm
x2 = L2/2 = 3.5/2 = 1.75 cm
x3 = L3/2 = 3.5/2 = 1.75 cm

Substituting these values into the simplified formula, we get:

Xcm = (1.75 + 1.75 + 1.75) / 3 = 1.75 cm

Therefore, the position of the center of mass of this system is located at 1.75 cm along the line. This makes sense intuitively, as all the cubes are of equal mass and evenly distributed along the line, so the center of mass is located in the middle of the line.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of center of mass and how to solve this problem. Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is the definition of "center of mass" for cubes?

The center of mass for cubes is the point at which the weight of the cube is evenly distributed in all directions, making it the balance point of the cube.

2. How is the center of mass calculated for cubes?

The center of mass for cubes can be calculated by finding the average of the x, y, and z coordinates of all the points on the cube's surface. This can also be done by finding the midpoint of each edge of the cube.

3. Why is the center of mass important for cubes?

The center of mass for cubes is important because it helps determine the stability and balance of the cube. It also plays a role in understanding the cube's motion and behavior when subjected to external forces.

4. Does the center of mass change for cubes of different sizes?

Yes, the center of mass for cubes can change depending on the size and shape of the cube. As the size of the cube increases or decreases, the center of mass will shift accordingly.

5. How is the center of mass related to the stability of cubes?

The position of the center of mass is directly related to the stability of cubes. If the center of mass is located at the base of the cube, it will be more stable and less likely to topple over. However, if the center of mass is located outside the base, the cube will be less stable and more likely to fall over.