1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of mass for sheet metal

1. Apr 22, 2005 #1
    I am having the hardest time figuring out the center of mass of this problem.

A sheet of metal is cut in the shape of a parabola (imagine that you have a parabola shape with the top being flat). The curved edge of the sheet is specified by the equation y=ax^2, and y ranges from 0 to b. Find the center of mass in terms of a and b. (You will need to find the area first.)

There's the question. The answer is 3b/5. I used center of mass equation

Ycm=(1/m)(integral of y dm)
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2005 #2
    The formula for y_cm looks good. What r u using for "dm"?
  4. Apr 22, 2005 #3

at first i had (3M)/(ab^3)ydx
    then i found the area a different way and i came up with (Mx^3)ydx/(2ab)

what is the correct evaulation of this area. this dm is the most important part of the integration.
  5. Apr 22, 2005 #4
    The width of the metal sheet at distance y is 2*Sqrt(y/a). Intergate this from 0 to b to get the area,

BTW, what is "M"?
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  6. Apr 22, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you get it?

I find 3b/4.
  7. Apr 22, 2005 #6
    M comes from this

Total mass (M) / Total Area (the integration of the function) = dm (tiny portion of mass) / da (tiny portion of area)

i just solved for dm so i could then substitute in for dm when i find the center of mass
  8. Apr 22, 2005 #7
    That is just saying the density is constant i think. Anyway u dont need the density. Were u able to get the area?

quasar987: do u get 3b/4 for the final answer or for area or what? hbombs first post says its 3b/5
  9. Apr 22, 2005 #8
    could you show me the steps of how you arrived to this answer
    maybe the answer in the book is wrong.
  10. Apr 22, 2005 #9
    i doubt the book is wrong. First find the area, that is compute the integal

integral from 0 to b of (2*sqrt(y/a)) dy = Area

then compute the integral of y "weighted" by mass, or area in this case

integral from 0 to b of (2*sqrt(y/a)*y)dy

and divide what u get by the area....
  11. Apr 22, 2005 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does "weighted" means?

According to the dm you found, the integral we want to compute is

[tex]Y_{CM} = \iint\frac{y}{A}dA[/tex]

So I found A. HackaB's way it the shortest:

[tex]A = \int_0^b2\sqrt{\frac{y}{a}}dy = \frac{4b}{3}\sqrt{\frac{b}{a}}[/tex]

[tex]Y_{CM} = \frac{3}{4b}\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}\int_{-\sqrt{b/a}}^{\sqrt{b/a}}\int_0^b ydydx = \frac{3}{4}b[/tex]
  12. Apr 22, 2005 #11
    what i meant by weighted is this: when u compute the center of mass of an ojbect, u are finding the average position "weighted" by how much mass is at a given position. In this prob., we know the center o mass is on the y axis by symmetry so we just have to find the "weighted average" of y. The amount of mass at distance y above the x-axis is dm = 2*sqrt(y/a)*dy. Actuallly this is da...area...but we can take density to be 1 cuz it will cancel anyway. So what you need is

integral of y dm = integral of 2*y*sqrt(y/a)*dy from 0 to b. For this I get (4/5) * b^(5/2) / sqrt(a). Divide this by what quasar987 gave for A to get the answer.
  13. Apr 22, 2005 #12

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Could you tell me what is wrong with my method? How is the integral I evaluated not the right one? Isn't it the integral of y/A over the surface of the parabola?
  14. Apr 22, 2005 #13

I get 3b/5

I turned the parabola on its side so the new function is:

y = (x/a)^1/2

then I integrated (Xcm - x)*y*dx from 0 to b, set the integral to zero and solved for Xcm.
  15. Apr 22, 2005 #14

[tex]Y_{CM} = \frac{3}{4b}\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}\int_{-\sqrt{b/a}}^{\sqrt{b/a}}\int_0^b ydydx = \frac{3}{4}b[/tex]

should be

[tex]Y_{CM} = \frac{3}{4b}\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}\int_0^b\int_{-\sqrt{y/a}}^{\sqrt{y/a}} ydxdy = \frac{3}{5}b[/tex]

add: u were integrating over a rectangle
  16. Apr 22, 2005 #15

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

HAHAHA. ooook. :tongue2:

It could have been

[tex]Y_{CM} = \frac{3}{4b}\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}\int_{-\sqrt{b/a}}^{\sqrt{b/a}}\int_{ax^2}^b ydydx = \frac{3}{4}b[/tex]

too... which is what I tought I was doing.
  17. Apr 23, 2005 #16
    quasar987 could you show me how you arrive at getting the stuff before the integral sign and the logic behind the two integrals, thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?