Center of mass for uniform solid

In summary, we are given a solid consisting of a hemisphere and a right circular cone of the same base radius, fixed together so their planes are coincident. The goal is to find the height of the cone in terms of the radius, such that the solid can rest in equilibrium on a flat surface with any point on the curved surface of the hemisphere in contact with the surface. Using the formula for center of mass, we can first locate the center of mass of the solid, which must lie on the contact surface of the cone and hemisphere. This leads to a system of equations involving the volumes and center of mass of each individual shape. Solving for the height of the cone results in a quadratic equation with two possible solutions, but only one
sr-candy

Homework Statement

A uniform solid consist of a hemisphere of radius r and a right circular cone of base radius r fixed together so that their planes are coincident. If the solid can rest in equilibrium with any point of the curved surface of the hemisphere in contact with a horizontal plane, find the height of the cone in terms of r. [Hint: The center of gravity of the cone is 1/4 its height from the plane face, and the center of gravity of the hemisphere is 3/8 its radius from the plane face.]

Homework Equations

Xcm = (m1x1 +m2x2+...)/summation of m

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to prove that at any point of the curved surface contacted with the ground, the volume of the left is equal to the right, but then i am having trouble in finding the volume of the varying parts.

another way that i am thinking is that, consider the CG of the cone and hemisphere separately, but again, i can't find the distance of the CGs relative to my reference point

in fact, i am not quite sure about the condition for this system to be at equilibrium

P.S. sry for my poor english as it is not my first language

Attachments

• physics.doc
    25.5 KB · Views: 381
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to locate the center of mass, intuitively so that the object is stable on flat surfaces. And then find the max height of the cone so that it is still stable. ( Hint a hemisphere is stable because it's center of mass is lower than it's radius :P)

thx for replying :smile:

let the height of the cone be h and the ground be my reference point

Center of mass(CM) of the solid

CM of the hermisphere * Volume of hemishphere + CM of the cone * Volume of the cone
over the total Volume of the solid= (4/3)(r^3)(5/8r)+(r^2)(h)(h/4+r)/(4r^3+r^2h)------i canceled out "pi"

= [(5r^2)/6]+[(h^2)/4+rh]/(4/3r+h)

Am i close to the answer?

and i got three questions

1.would u mind explain more on what mean the "center of mass is lower than the radius?"

2.how can i relate the height of the cone with the radius

3.how can i show that i have consider all the cases (ie. the solid is tilted at any angle )

Last edited:
sr-candy said:
CM of the hermisphere * Volume of hemishphere + CM of the cone * Volume of the cone
over the total Volume of the solid

Don't quite understand that...

The center of mass multiplied to the volume?

But you need to find the height of the cone so that the center of mass of the two objects gets right between the two.That is the stability constrain.

nvm the problem is solved,
what i don't know before is that
if the solid can rest on any curve surface, the center of mass must lies on the contact surface of the cone and hermishpere

thx for helping anyway

1. What is the center of mass for a uniform solid?

The center of mass for a uniform solid is the point at which the entire mass of the object is considered to be concentrated. It is also known as the centroid or center of gravity.

2. How is the center of mass calculated for a uniform solid?

The center of mass for a uniform solid can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the individual particles that make up the object. This involves taking into account the mass and position of each particle.

3. Why is the center of mass important in physics?

The center of mass is important in physics because it helps to simplify the analysis of an object's motion. It is also used to determine the stability of an object and how it will react to external forces.

4. Can the center of mass be located outside of the object?

No, the center of mass cannot be located outside of the object. It is always located within the boundaries of the object and can be found at the geometric center for symmetric objects.

5. How does the shape of a uniform solid affect its center of mass?

The shape of a uniform solid does not affect its center of mass. As long as the object has uniform density, the center of mass will always be located at the geometric center of the object.