Center of Mass Help: Understanding Concepts & Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of center of mass and its equation (m1x1+m2x2)/(m1+m2). It is mentioned that for m2>m1, the center of mass would be positioned between the two masses but closer to m2. A web page is recommended for further understanding and assistance is offered by the user "Pete."
daniel1211
i am having some trouble understanding the concepts of center of mass for example using the equation (m1x1+m2x2)/(m1+m2) if m2>m1 what would be the center of mass i am not sure where to even begin

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the correct equation. You need the two masses (m1 and m2) and their position vectors (x1 and x2). Once you have those, applying the equation is very simple math.

Without anymore information I think the only thing we could see is that the COM would be on the same plane as m1 and m2 and between the two masses but a little closer to m2 since it is the larger of the two.

daniel1211 said:
i am having some trouble understanding the concepts of center of mass for example using the equation (m1x1+m2x2)/(m1+m2) if m2>m1 what would be the center of mass i am not sure where to even begin

I recommend that you follow the derivation for the expression for the center of mass at a web page I created just to explain this subject. Its at

http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/mech/center_of_mass.htm

Try it for the case of two particles.

I'll be glad to help further if needed.

Pete

daniel1211 - I want to welcome you to the Physics Forums! :smile:

My all your experiences here be good ones.

Pete

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in an object or system where the mass is evenly distributed in all directions.

2. Why is the center of mass important?

Understanding the center of mass is important because it helps determine an object's stability, how it will move in response to external forces, and how it will interact with other objects.

3. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass is calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the particles in the object or system, where the weights are the masses of the particles.

4. What is the difference between center of mass and center of gravity?

The center of mass is a point where the mass is evenly distributed, while the center of gravity is a point where the force of gravity can be considered to act on an object. For most objects on Earth, the center of mass and center of gravity are close to each other, but they may differ for objects in space or on other planets.

5. How does the center of mass affect rotational motion?

The center of mass is important in rotational motion because it determines the axis of rotation. An object will rotate around its center of mass if there are no external torques acting on it, and the rotational motion will be stable if the center of mass is above the base of support.