1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of Mass/Linear Momentum

1. Mar 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the "before" part of Fig. 9-60, car A (mass 1100 kg) is stopped at a traffic light when it is rear-ended by car B (mass 1500 kg). Both cars then slide with locked wheels until the frictional force from the slick road (with a low μk of 0.21) stops them, at distances dA = 5.3 m and dB = 3.4 m. What are the speeds of (a) car A and (b) car B at the start of the sliding, just after the collision? (c) Assuming that linear momentum is conserved during the collision, find the speed of car B just before the collision.

(see attachment for image)

2. Relevant equations

(A = CarA, B = CarB)

PAi + PBi = PAf + PBf
    (mA)vAi + (mB)vBi = (mA)vAf + (mB)vBf

3. The attempt at a solution

I've been sitting here looking blankly at this problem for about an hour now. I really have no idea where to start with this, i've tried a few things, but it always ends up giving me two unknown variables. Looking at another thread that was posted on this question, I realize that all the kinetic energy is transferred to thermal in the end, how does that help?

(https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=82429)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

Hi Nikolan, welcome to PF

For a) & b) think about one car at a time. After the collision, the work done by friction slowing the car will equal the decrease in kinetic energy of the car.

4. Mar 21, 2009 #3
    Thank you very much!

I ended up taking what you said and applying it like this:

(Using this solution for both cars A and B)

Fk = (uk)FN to find force of friction.

W of Friction = (Fk)(D) = Kf - Ki = 1/2mvf^2 - 1/2mvi^2

to get:

W = - 1/2mvi^2 => sqrt(((-2)(W))/M) for initial speeds of both cars directly after impact.
    I then used Momentum of Cars before = Momentum afterwards
    or
    Pai + Pbi = Paf + Pbf
    mavai + mbmbi = mavaf + mbvbf

and plugging in relevant values to end up with initial speed of car B before collision.

Again, thanks for your help! :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook