How Do You Calculate the Center of Mass for a Cone?

In summary, the task is to calculate the center of mass (X_com) of a cone with mass M, given the picture and the information that the density of the cone is uniform. The solution involves using the moment equation, where the derivative of the moment with respect to x is equal to x times the derivative of mass. The correct answer is 3/4 L, but some mistakes were made in the calculations, such as the disappearance and reappearance of a four in the denominator.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Calculate the X_com of the cone of mass M in terms of quantities given in the picture. The density of the cone is uniform.

See the attachments for the picture.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I did it I got

X_com = (3L)/2

and I am unsure if this is correct or not. The infinitely small sections are circular disks of area pi R^2 were r is the radius of the infinitely small disk and a volume just an infinitely small width dx times the area. therefore the density

rho = dm/dV = dm/(pi R^2 dx)

I sort of got confused when I did because the radius changes with respect to x and during the middle of the test I sort of rushed this problem and thought that it just canceled out in the end but believe I may be wrong

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 463
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    33 KB · Views: 507
Physics news on Phys.org
You have shown that the center of mass of the cone in the x-direction lies outside of the cone. Your answer is not correct.

Yes, the radius changes with respect to x, but it does so in a predictable manner.

Care to reformulate your solution to the c.o.m.? Concentrate on writing the moment equation using the origin as the reference point.

what is the moment equation?

It's an essential component in your c.o.m. calculation.

d(moment)/dx = x * dm

Im not exactly sure what is meant by moment in your equation. Can someone tell me. I recalculated it except this time I got 3/4 R. I believe the answer is 3/4 L though. I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong. Thanks for any help.

sorry that a four in the denominator magically disappeared from my work towards the end and magically reappeared. I just realized this. Everything else is correct though I believe, except some reason I got 3/4 R instead of 3/4 L

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:

What is the center of mass of a cone?

The center of mass of a cone is the point at which the entire mass of the cone is concentrated, and the cone can be balanced on a single point without tipping over.

How is the center of mass of a cone calculated?

The center of mass of a cone can be calculated by finding the average of all the individual points of mass within the cone. This can be done using mathematical integrals.

Does the shape of the cone affect its center of mass?

Yes, the shape of the cone does affect its center of mass. A taller and narrower cone will have a higher center of mass, while a shorter and wider cone will have a lower center of mass.

Can the center of mass of a cone be outside of the cone?

No, the center of mass of a cone will always be located somewhere within the cone itself. It cannot be located outside of the cone.

Why is the center of mass of a cone important?

The center of mass of a cone is important because it helps us understand the stability and balance of the cone. It also plays a crucial role in physics and engineering calculations involving cones.