Center of Mass of particles

In summary, at time t0, m1 has a velocity v directed towards m2, which is at rest a distance d away. At time t1, the particles collide. m1 travels a distance d in the time interval (t0 and t1).
postfan

Homework Statement

Two small particles of mass m1 and mass m2 attract each other with a force that varies with the inverse cube of their separation. At time t0, m1 has velocity v directed towards m2, which is at rest a distance d away. At time t1, the particles collide.
How far does m1 travel in the time interval (t0 and t1)? Note: you may use t1 and t0 in your answer. Enter m1, m2, t1 and t0 for masses and times.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the center of mass as the collision point, so I calculated (taking x=0 at m1) it to be m2*d/(m1+m2). What did I do wrong?

Attachments

• twodots.png
    twodots.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 558
Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you assume that the C.O.M. would be the collision point? If you jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge, is it reasonable to assume that you would travel to almost the center of the earth?

The title of the question literally was 'Center of Mass', in that case what should I do?

postfan said:
I used the center of mass as the collision point, so I calculated (taking x=0 at m1) it to be m2*d/(m1+m2). What did I do wrong?
You are overlooking that in the reference frame you are given m1 has an initial velocity but m2 does not. The COM of the system is therefore moving. This increases the distance m1 moves to the collision point.
Even without that complication, I don't believe your formula is right. What is the ratio of the two accelerations? If both started at rest, what would that mean about the ratio of the distances moved?
SteamKing said:
Why did you assume that the C.O.M. would be the collision point?
Because it tells you they are small particles, not bothering to give the actual sizes.

The particles will collide at the CM, but the CM moves with a constant velocity, and you need to figure out the time when they collide. It depends on the force of interaction between them, so you need to consider how the particles move, either solving the the dynamical equations F=m1a1 and -F=m2a2, or using conservation of energy. The force of interaction is conservative.

ehild

1. What is the center of mass of a particle?

The center of mass of a particle is a point that represents the average position of all the mass in a system, where the total weight of the system is concentrated.

2. Why is the center of mass important in physics?

The center of mass is important because it allows us to analyze the motion of a system as if all the mass were concentrated at a single point. This simplifies the calculations and makes it easier to understand the overall motion of the system.

3. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass is calculated by taking the weighted average of the positions of all the particles in a system, where the weights are the masses of the particles.

4. Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of an object. It depends on the distribution of mass within the object. For example, a hollow object may have its center of mass outside of its physical boundaries.

5. How does the center of mass change when particles move?

The center of mass remains constant unless an external force acts on the system. When particles move, the position of the center of mass may change accordingly, but its overall location within the system will remain the same.