1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of Mass problem

1. Oct 25, 2007 #1
    [Solved]Center of Mass problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Jane is sitting on a chair with her lower leg at a 30.0° angle with respect to the vertical, as shown. You need to develop a computer model of her leg to assist in some medical research. If you assume that her leg can be modeled as two uniform cylinders, one with mass M1 = 18 kg and length L1 = 35 cm and one with mass M2 = 10 kg and length L2 = 36 cm, where is the center of mass of her leg?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I attempted to break up the problem into compoents and found a cordinate system of
    m1 (0,0)(0,35) and M2 as (35, 0), (53, -31.18)

I am not sure how to procede from here.

Y has been solved! I took the midpoint of the y2 cordinate which is -15.9 and multiplied that by the 10kg mass and divided by both masses. I thought this might work since the Y1 is equal to zero.

FOLLOW UP! X has now been solved! I did the same process in finding the midpoint of both X components.

The problem is now solved.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted