1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of Mass question

1. Oct 21, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 2.80 kg particle has the xy coordinates (-2.00 m, 0.950 m), and a 3.30 kg particle has the xy coordinates (0.672 m, -0.0440 m). Both lie on a horizontal plane. At what (a)x and (b)y coordinates must you place a 3.39 kg particle such that the center of mass of the three-particle system has the coordinates (-0.663 m, -0.527 m)?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't even know what equation I have to use to find this, I looked in the book and I can't find anything about it. Can anyone help me with this?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You need to understand the basic definition of center of mass: Center of Mass

4. Oct 21, 2007 #3
    How do I find the coordinates of the center of mass if they already gave them to me though? I now know what equation to use but I don't know how to apply it to this problem.

5. Oct 21, 2007 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You must solve two equations for the coordinates of the final particle.

6. Oct 21, 2007 #5
    Now I'm confused which two equations do I use?

xcom=(m1x1+m2x2)/M and...?

7. Oct 21, 2007 #6

Doc Al

You'll need one equation for the x-component and another for the y-component.

8. Oct 21, 2007 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You have THREE particles here, not two!!

YOu have, for the x's:
    [tex]x_{c.m}=\frac{m_{1}x_{1}+m_{2}x_{2}+m_{3}x_{3}}{m_{1}+m_{2}+m_{3}}[/tex]

Now, in this expression, what quantities are KNOWN, which quantity (or quantities) is unknown?

9. Oct 21, 2007 #8
    what's unknown is the ycom and the xcom... so i put my information in that equation and solved it and got xcom= -0.593 and ycom=0.0767 and they are wrong. i have no idea what i'm doing wrong here.

10. Oct 21, 2007 #9

Doc Al

What's unknown are the coordinates of the third particle: x_3 and y_3. The coordinates of the center of mass are known.

11. Oct 21, 2007 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Remember that your exercise can be equivalently rephrased into:
    (First some blah&info about the two first particles)
    ..The common centre of mass of the three-particle system IS (-0.663,-0.527), and the mass of the third particle IS 3.39kg.
    Question:
    What is the position of the third particle?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?