Center of Mass: Finding the Third Particle's Position

In summary, a 3.39 kg particle must be placed at (-0.593 m, 0.0767 m) in order for the center of mass of the three-particle system to have the coordinates (-0.663 m, -0.527 m). The equation used to find this position is xcom=(m1x1+m2x2+m3x3)/(m1+m2+m3), where xcom represents the x-coordinate of the center of mass, m represents the mass of each particle, and x represents the x-coordinate of each particle. The coordinates of the center of mass are known, and the unknown quantities are the coordinates of the third particle.
shell4987

Homework Statement

A 2.80 kg particle has the xy coordinates (-2.00 m, 0.950 m), and a 3.30 kg particle has the xy coordinates (0.672 m, -0.0440 m). Both lie on a horizontal plane. At what (a)x and (b)y coordinates must you place a 3.39 kg particle such that the center of mass of the three-particle system has the coordinates (-0.663 m, -0.527 m)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know what equation I have to use to find this, I looked in the book and I can't find anything about it. Can anyone help me with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to understand the basic definition of center of mass: Center of Mass

Doc Al said:
You need to understand the basic definition of center of mass: Center of Mass

How do I find the coordinates of the center of mass if they already gave them to me though? I now know what equation to use but I don't know how to apply it to this problem.

shell4987 said:
How do I find the coordinates of the center of mass if they already gave them to me though? I now know what equation to use but I don't know how to apply it to this problem.

You must solve two equations for the coordinates of the final particle.

arildno said:
You must solve two equations for the coordinates of the final particle.

Now I'm confused which two equations do I use?

xcom=(m1x1+m2x2)/M and...?

You'll need one equation for the x-component and another for the y-component.

You have THREE particles here, not two!

YOu have, for the x's:
[tex]x_{c.m}=\frac{m_{1}x_{1}+m_{2}x_{2}+m_{3}x_{3}}{m_{1}+m_{2}+m_{3}}[/tex]

Now, in this expression, what quantities are KNOWN, which quantity (or quantities) is unknown?

arildno said:
You have THREE particles here, not two!

YOu have, for the x's:
[tex]x_{c.m}=\frac{m_{1}x_{1}+m_{2}x_{2}+m_{3}x_{3}}{m_{1}+m_{2}+m_{3}}[/tex]

Now, in this expression, what quantities are KNOWN, which quantity (or quantities) is unknown?

what's unknown is the ycom and the xcom... so i put my information in that equation and solved it and got xcom= -0.593 and ycom=0.0767 and they are wrong. i have no idea what I'm doing wrong here.

What's unknown are the coordinates of the third particle: x_3 and y_3. The coordinates of the center of mass are known.

Remember that your exercise can be equivalently rephrased into:
(First some blah&info about the two first particles)
..The common centre of mass of the three-particle system IS (-0.663,-0.527), and the mass of the third particle IS 3.39kg.
Question:
What is the position of the third particle?

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in a system or object where the mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is also known as the "center of gravity."

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass is calculated by finding the sum of the products of mass and distance for all the particles in a system, divided by the total mass of the system. This can be expressed mathematically as:

xcm = (m1x1 + m2x2 + ... + mnxn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn)
Where xcm is the center of mass and xi and mi are the distance and mass of each particle, respectively.

3. How does the center of mass affect an object's stability?

The position of the center of mass is an important factor in determining an object's stability. An object with a low center of mass and a wide base of support is more stable than an object with a high center of mass and a narrow base of support. This is why we instinctively spread our feet wider to maintain balance when carrying a heavy load.

4. Does the center of mass change?

Yes, the center of mass can change depending on the position and arrangement of the mass in a system or object. For example, when a person jumps, their center of mass shifts upwards and then back down when they land. In a complex system, the center of mass can also change due to external forces acting on the system.

5. How is the concept of center of mass used in real-life applications?

The concept of center of mass is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and biomechanics. It is used to design stable structures, calculate the trajectory of objects in motion, and understand the balance and stability of the human body. It is also applied in sports, such as diving and gymnastics, to achieve optimal performance by controlling the body's center of mass.