1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of mass question

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A thin rectangular plate of uniform areal density σ = 3.06 kg/m2 has length of 37.0 cm and width of 25.0 cm. The lower left hand corner is located at the origin, (x,y)= (0,0) and the length is along the x-axis.

There is a circular hole of radius 6.50 cm with center at (x,y) = (12.50,10.50) cm in the plate. Calculate the mass of plate.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I need to:

Calculate the distance of the plate's CM from the origin.

I've calculated the x-coordinate of the center of mass with the equation:

x= [ ((L/2)*(l*w)) - ((2r)*pi*r^2) ] / [ (l*w) - (pi*r^2) ]

basically x= (x-component center of mass of rectangle)*area - (center of mass of circle)*area divided by total area with L = 0.37m (length of rectangular plate), l*w= area of plate, r= 0.65m, radius of circle cut out of plate. This comes out to be 0.194m and I know is correct.

However, I use the same equation, but replacing L with H, the height of the rectangle or 0.25m to find the y component, which I've calculated to be 0.124m. Then when I find that I used Pythagorean theorem or sqrt(x^2 + y^2) to find distance from origin to center of mass but I get a wrong answer, or answer that is supposedly wrong, which I calculate to be 0.230m. I think I'm doing it correctly, but supposedly I'm wrong, any ideas?

EDIT: SOLVED
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

The method looks good. I got .195 for the x and .0555 for the y when I ran it through.

4. Oct 26, 2009 #3
    nevermind, figured out what was wrong

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook