1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of Mass question

1. Nov 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Discuss when you can and can’t “pretend all the mass of an object is concentrated at the center of mass”.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I don't really understand what this is supposed to mean. I know that you utilize center of mass when trying to describe the motion of an extended object where different parts of the object is moving with different speeds. But so far i haven't come across anything you really couldn't use this... and explosion problem maybe... i don't really know and would appreciate some input thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Maybe when explaining the motion of large objects, like aeroplanes or human movements

4. Nov 3, 2009 #3
    well you actually do use center of mass to describe human movements because thats an example that my text book uses...

5. Nov 4, 2009 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well I meant like in testing car crashes, I don't think they consider the entire body as one point mass.

OR analysis of the forces on an aeroplane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook