Finding the Center of Mass of a Man-Boat System

In summary, when a man with mass 69.0 kg stands at the left end of a boat with mass 163.0 kg and length 2.8 m, the center of mass is at 0.98 m. After the man walks to the right edge of the boat, the new location of the center of mass is calculated using the equation Xcm = [(m1r1)+(m2r2)+...+(mNrN)]/[m1+m2+...+mN]. However, since the center of mass does not change, this equation is set equal to 0.98 and solved for the new distance of the center of the boat. However, this reasoning gives the wrong answer and instead the
InertialRef

Homework Statement

A man with mass m1 = 69.0 kg stands at the left end of a uniform boat with mass m2 = 163.0 kg and a length L = 2.8 m. Let the origin of our coordinate system be the man’s original location as shown in the drawing. Assume there is no friction or drag between the boat and water.

After the man walks to the right edge of the boat, what is the new location the center of the boat?

I have calculated center of mass to be at 0.98 m.

Homework Equations

Xcm = [(m1r1)+(m2r2)+...+(mNrN)]/[m1+m2+...+mN]

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was plug in the numbers given in the equation to get this:

[(69*2.8)+(163*x)]/(69+163) = 0.98

Center of mass does not change, so that is what I set the equation to. x = new distance of the center of the boat. Once I found what x was equal to, I subtracted it from 1.4 as follows:

1.4 - x = new position

But this reasoning gives me the wrong answer. Could someone please help me with where I have gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi InertialRef! :smile:
InertialRef said:
[(69*2.8)+(163*x)]/(69+163) = 0.98

No, that assumes he walks 2.8 m to the right, he doesn't (because the boat moves him back a bit).

Instead, find the old and new positions on the boat of the centre of mass. :wink:

1. What is the definition of center of mass?

The center of mass is a point within or outside of a body, where the entire mass of the body is considered to be concentrated. It is the point where the body can be balanced without any rotation occurring.

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass is calculated by taking the weighted average of the positions of all the individual particles that make up the body. The weight of each particle is taken into account in this calculation.

3. What is the importance of center of mass?

The center of mass is important because it helps us understand the dynamics of a body or system. It is used to determine the stability, balance, and motion of an object. It is also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and biomechanics.

4. Can the center of mass be outside of the body?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of the body. This is often the case for irregularly shaped objects or objects with varying densities. In these cases, the center of mass may be located at a point where there is no actual mass present.

5. How does the center of mass affect an object's motion?

The center of mass affects an object's motion by determining its stability and balance. If the center of mass is not within the base of support, the object will be unstable and may topple over. Additionally, the center of mass also determines the direction and speed of an object's movement.