Where is the center of mass of a flat triangular plate with given dimensions?

In summary, the x and y coordinates of the center of mass of a flat triangular plate with a height of 17.3 cm and a base of 10 cm can be found by integrating with respect to x and using the equations x = 1/A ∫ x(f(x)) and y = 1/A ∫ 1/2((f(x)^2), where A is the area of the triangle. However, based on the coordinates provided in the book's answer, there may be a discrepancy in the orientation of the triangle with respect to the origin.
jsr219
Find the x and y coordinates of the center of mass of a flat triangular plate of a height H =17.3cm and a base B = 10 Cm

Homework Equations

Area = A = 1/2bh
x = 1/A ∫ x(f(x))
y = 1/A ∫ 1/2((f(x)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Area = 1/2(10)(17.3) = 86.5

f(x) = 17.3-1.73x or 17.3-173/100x
... this represents the equation for the line of the hypt. of the triangle, with its y intercept at 17.3 and its x intercept at 10, and a slope of 17.3/10

All interals from 0 to 10

x = 1/86.5 ∫x(17.3-1.73x) = 3.333333cm
y = 1/86.5 ∫1/2((17.3-1.73x)^2) = 5.7666667cm

I've done this problems like these tons of time in calc and on my homework for physics, using this same method... but according to the answers in the book I'm getting this question wrong

their answer says the x,y coordinates are (6.67cm, 11.5cm)

I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong
Please point out any mistakes I may have made
and the right direction I should be heading in

Thank you !

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there an accompanying picture? The way the base and height are laid out would effect where the center is.

Your integral expressions are not properly written. Are you integrating with respect to x or y?

The triangle is a right triangle
The 90 degree angle is situated at the orgin... so the height follows up the y-axis or x= o
and the base follows the x-axis at y=0... more or less the height and base make the x and y axis

I intergrating with repect to x, that's why i created an equation from the line of the hypt. of the triangle. The line/equation will make a triangle with the x and y axis... or the base and height... y intercept = height of 17.3 and x intercept = base of 10

hoped I helped in clearing up questions about my approach

According to the coordinates of the cg from your book, the base of the triangle is located at y = 17.3 and the other side of the triangle adjacent to the right angle is x = 10. Are you sure of the orientation of your triangle w.r.t. the origin?

1. What is the center of mass of a triangle?

The center of mass of a triangle is a point where the entire mass of the triangle can be considered to be concentrated. It is the point at which the triangle would balance if it were placed on a pin.

2. How is the center of mass of a triangle calculated?

The center of mass of a triangle can be calculated by finding the average of the x and y coordinates of the three vertices of the triangle.

3. Does the position of the center of mass of a triangle change?

Yes, the position of the center of mass of a triangle can change depending on the shape and size of the triangle. It also changes if the distribution of mass within the triangle changes.

4. What is the significance of the center of mass of a triangle?

The center of mass of a triangle is important because it helps in understanding the stability and balance of the triangle. It also plays a role in determining the rotational properties of the triangle.

5. Can the center of mass of a triangle lie outside the triangle?

Yes, the center of mass of a triangle can lie outside the triangle if the triangle is an irregular shape or if the distribution of mass is uneven. It is possible for the center of mass to be located at a point outside the triangle, but still within the boundaries of the triangle's perimeter.