Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of Mass using vectors

1. Feb 20, 2008 #1
    I am looking for a way to find the center mass of an object whose area is enclosed by [tex]x^{2}[/tex] and [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] without computing the x and y seperately (a great deal of paperwork).

So...

[tex]M\overrightarrow{R_{cm}} = \int \overrightarrow{r} dm[/tex]

[tex]\sigma = \frac{M}{A} = \frac{dm}{dA}[/tex]

[tex]\sigma A \overrightarrow{R_{cm}} = \int \sigma \overrightarrow{r} dA[/tex]

[tex]\overrightarrow{R_{cm}} = \frac{\int\int \sigma \overrightarrow{r} dy dx } {\int \sigma (f(x)-g(x))dx}[/tex]

Because they are constants, the sigmas cancel and I eventually end up with...

[tex]\overrightarrow{R_{cm}} = \frac{\int^1_0\int^{x^{2}}_{\sqrt{x}} (xi+yj) dydx}{\int^1_0 x^{2} - \sqrt{x} dx}[/tex]

(The answer is [tex]\frac{9}{20}i + \frac{9}{20}j[/tex])

But what happens when sigma/density is not constant, but is given a value say... xi or something like that? Obviously taking the dot product will not work, and I am unsure about the cross product (I haven't done a lot of vectors).

-Ataman

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2008 #2
    What do you mean that the dot product won't work? I don't see any dot product in the above derivation.

4. Feb 20, 2008 #3
    In the above derivation, the density is constant, so it is not defined by a vector.

What I am looking for is a case where there is a varying density within the region.

-Ataman

5. Feb 20, 2008 #4
    Why define it as a vector? Why not make it as a function of the position vector?

6. Feb 20, 2008 #5
    That's what I meant. Excuse me.

-Ataman

7. Feb 20, 2008 #6
    Then don't you know the answer?

8. Feb 21, 2008 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then it is still not a vector. "Density" is a numeric value, not a vector function. You don't need a "dot product", you just have a scalar product- multiply each component of the position vector by the density function.

You should notice that you aren't really doing less work that if you did x and y as separate integrals. Since [itex]\int u\vec{i}+ v\vec{j} dx= \int u\vec{i}dx+ \int v\vec{j}dx[/itex] you are just writing two integrals as if they were one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?