Center of mass with gymnastics as an example

In summary, the center of mass of the gymnasts is dependent on the shape they are making and the top person's legs being spread out helps to lower her center of mass, making it easier to balance. When the top person leans back, she is also lowering her center of gravity, contributing to the overall balance of the tower.
blaisem
Hi there, I was recently watching a gymnastics video, and the three gymnasts balance on each other in a crazy tower. Here is the part:

http://youtu.be/Q5L4MT8LdOQ?t=2m10s

Does the person on the bottom feel a shift in the center of mass due to the top person leaning so far back, making it easier to support the other two? In other words, is the center of mass of the three people independent of where they are connected?

The person in the middle I would expect to experience a backwards-rotating torque as a result of the top girl, but it seems from the angle of her arms that she is pushing herself backwards, which would be the opposite direction to counteract the torque I expected. Am I missing some force that causes her to push in that direction?

Does the top person having her legs out wide play any role in helping her to balance?

I tried to explain this in my head, and these are the questions I came up with. Would appreciate anyone helping me improve my understanding of mechanical statics. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The center of mass of the gymnasts depends on the "shape" the are making.

By spreading her legs out like that, she lower's her center of mass closer to the other girls leg, which in turn, reduces the torque the she has to compensate for.

Answering out of order here..

Yes, when the top person leans back, she is, again, lowering her center of gravity. Making it easier in general, to stay balanced.

Whenever you're talking about balance, what makes something balance, is having its center of gravity "over" its base. Whenever that center of gravity moves "outside" of the base, that is was things fall. So, by widening their "base" or the area on which they cover, the gymnasts are making their tower more stable.

What is the center of mass in gymnastics?

The center of mass in gymnastics refers to the point at which the body's mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is also known as the center of gravity and is an important concept in understanding balance and control in gymnastics movements.

How does the center of mass affect gymnastics performance?

The center of mass plays a crucial role in gymnastics performance as it determines the athlete's stability and balance. A lower center of mass can provide greater stability, while a higher center of mass can make it more difficult to maintain balance.

What factors can affect an athlete's center of mass in gymnastics?

An athlete's body composition, such as height, weight, and muscle mass, can affect their center of mass in gymnastics. The position of their limbs and the type of movement they are performing can also impact their center of mass.

How can an athlete manipulate their center of mass in gymnastics?

An athlete can manipulate their center of mass in gymnastics by adjusting their body position and weight distribution. For example, they can tuck or extend their limbs to change their center of mass and maintain balance during a routine.

Why is understanding the center of mass important for gymnastics coaches?

Gymnastics coaches need to understand the center of mass to help their athletes achieve optimal performance and prevent injuries. By understanding how the center of mass affects balance and control, coaches can provide appropriate feedback and corrections to improve their athletes' technique and safety.