Finding Formulas for c, μx, and Var(X) in a Center of Mass Word Problem

In summary: Thank you so much! I assume I continue to integrate from 0 to 1 and I can pull (p+1)(p+2) out of the integral? Thanks...
PCSL
Let p be a positive constant. Suppose that a random variable X has probability function f(x)=cxp(1-x) for 0≤x≤1. Find formulas for c, μx, and Var(X) in terms of p.

I know Var(X)=∫(x-μx)2f(x)dx

I know that I did not show any work so please just give me a hint (I'm not asking you to solve it for me). Thanks and I would have provided work if I even had a guess on where to start.

P.S. I'm kind of confused why this is at the end of the center of mass chapter since I totally understood everything up to this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
PCSL said:
Let p be a positive constant. Suppose that a random variable X has probability function f(x)=cxp(1-x) for 0≤x≤1. Find formulas for c, μx, and Var(X) in terms of p.

Since f(x) is a probability function, isn't its integral over the interval equal to 1?
Also, isn't μX the same as E(X)? And isn't this an integral as well?
PCSL said:
I know that I did not show any work so please just give me a hint (I'm not asking you to solve it for me). Thanks and I would have provided work if I even had a guess on where to start.

P.S. I'm kind of confused why this is at the end of the center of mass chapter since I totally understood everything up to this problem.

PCSL said:

Why have you titled this as a "Center of Mass Word Problem"?

LCKurtz said:

Because it is a word problem at the end of the section titled center of mass. The solution involves finding the second moment also, I believe.

@Mark I did not know that Mu sub x is equivalent to E(X). I'll go on that assumption and see if I get the right answer.

LCKurtz said:

Oh, finding the expectation value of f(x) could be considered as a 'center of mass' problem. The formula looks similar. It's a first moment. But the title is not that important. The first thing PCSL should do is find c. Then the rest should be easy.

Alright, so as Mark said

[tex]\int_{0}^{1} cx^p(1-x)dx=1[/tex]
because it is a PDF

When solving this for c do I assume that c is a constant and pull it out of the integral? How do I solve this for μx when it isn't even in the formula? Thanks, and sorry I'm not providing more work but I'm pretty lost...

PCSL said:
Alright, so as Mark said

[tex]\int_{0}^{1} cx^p(1-x)dx=1[/tex]
because it is a PDF

When solving this for c do I assume that c is a constant and pull it out of the integral? How do I solve this for μx when it isn't even in the formula? Thanks, and sorry I'm not providing more work but I'm pretty lost...

Sure, c is a constant. Pull it out and solve for it in term of p. Then use that value of c to find mu_x. Etc.

Last edited:
I got [tex][\frac{cx^{p+1}}{p+1}-\frac{cx^{p+2}}{p+2}]_{0}^{1}[/tex]
which I simplified to
(p+1)(p+2)=c

What do you mean I use this value of c to find mu sub x. Actually, it says above mu_x is equal to x so is that relevant...?

PCSL said:
I got (p+1)(p+2)=c

What do you mean I use this value of c to find mu sub x. Actually, it says above mu_x is equal to x so is that relevant...?

Ok, so f(x)=(p+1)(p+2)x^p(1-x). Now you just integrate f(x)*x to find E(x). Then use that find Var(f(x)). It should be routine from here on.

Dick said:
Ok, so f(x)=(p+1)(p+2)x^p(1-x). Now you just integrate f(x)*x to find E(x). Then use that find Var(f(x)). It should be routine from here on.

Thank you so much! I assume I continue to integrate from 0 to 1 and I can pull (p+1)(p+2) out of the integral? Thanks again.

Yes, the limits of integration for all integrals are 0 and 1. And for the integration, p is a constant.

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is the point at which the mass of an object or system is evenly distributed in all directions. It is also known as the center of gravity.

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass can be calculated by finding the average position of all the individual masses within an object or system. This can be done using the formula: x̄ = (m1x1 + m2x2 + … + mnxn) / (m1 + m2 + … + mn), where x̄ is the center of mass, m is the mass, and x is the position of each individual mass.

3. What is the importance of the center of mass?

The center of mass is important because it helps us understand the stability, balance, and motion of objects and systems. It is also a crucial concept in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.

4. How does the center of mass affect the motion of an object?

The center of mass determines the direction and speed of an object's motion. If the center of mass is not in motion, the object will remain stationary. If the center of mass is moving, the object will also move in the same direction and at the same speed.

5. Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of an object. This can happen when the object has an irregular shape or when there are external forces acting on the object. However, the center of mass will always be located within the object's boundary.