Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of mass

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1
    I am trying to determine the center of mass of a pinewood derby car. Any suggestions on how this can be done?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

On paper, my measuring the shape and mass of each component - calculating their individual CofG then calculating the overall value.
    Or just balance the finished car on a knife edge.
  4. Jan 22, 2008 #3
    Thanks. There is also a lot of discussion as to where the weight in the car shoud be placed. I assume the weight should be placed as low as possible and as far back on the vehicle as possible. Your input is appreciated.
  5. Jan 22, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hang the car from the middle of a string, the hanging (free) end of the string will pass through the cm. Do this from 2 different points, the intersection is your cm.
  6. Jan 22, 2008 #5

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

To find the center of mass, you actually need *3* different 'hangings' because the car is 3-dimensional. Two will identify the line that passes through the center of mass, the third will reduce it to a point.

In any case, IIRC, the number 1 design consideration is the wheel friction. The wheels must spin freely and be lubricated. Then, the weight and aerodynamics come into play.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?