Calculating Center of Mass of a Car: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the center of mass of a car can be determined by driving it over a scale and measuring the weight on the front and rear wheels. Using the equations x + y = 3.58 and 5x = 6y (or 5.05x = 6.2y), the distance behind the front wheels where the center of mass is located can be calculated.
kaylanp01

Homework Statement

To determine the location of the center of mass of a car, the car is driven over a scale. When the front wheels are over the scale, the weight recorded by the scale is 5.05 x 103 N. When the rear wheels are over the scale, the scale reads 6.20 x 103 N. The distance between the front and rear wheels is 3.58 m. How far behind the front wheels is the center of mass located?

Homework Equations

Ahh I did it using that math that we used in lower level high school. haha. Thought I might get lucky.

I missed these classes in physics, so I'm trying to figure it out and have no idea where to start.

The Attempt at a Solution

I did:
x + y = 3.58
5050x + 6200y = 112500 (because the weight of the car is equal to the sum of the weight measured on the front wheel and the weight measured on the rear wheel).
Solved for x, subbed it in, got the wroong answer. aha.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe if you had thought of the see-saw?

Won't it be more like 5*x = 6.2(3.58 - x) ?

LowlyPion said:
Maybe if you had thought of the see-saw?

Won't it be more like 5*x = 6.2(3.58 - x) ?

Sorry...I'm not following. Where did the 5 come from?

OK. 5.05 if you prefer.

LowlyPion said:
OK. 5.05 if you prefer.

oooh. hahah sorry. its exam week, I'm feeling a bit slow. so your formulas are actually x + y = 3.58 and then 5x = 6y. I understand, thank you :).

kaylanp01 said:
oooh. hahah sorry. its exam week, I'm feeling a bit slow. so your formulas are actually x + y = 3.58 and then 5x = 6y. I understand, thank you :).

Basically, yes.

Where did your 6 come from then?

JK.

Cheers.

LowlyPion said:
Basically, yes.

Where did your 6 come from then?

JK.

Cheers.

hahah now now, be nice.

1. How do you calculate the center of mass of a car?

To calculate the center of mass of a car, you must first find the weight and location of each component of the car. Then, you can use the formula: Center of Mass = (Sum of (weight x distance))/(Sum of weights) to determine the center of mass.

2. Why is it important to know the center of mass of a car?

Knowing the center of mass of a car is important for understanding how the car will behave when in motion. It can affect the stability, handling, and overall safety of the vehicle.

3. What factors can affect the center of mass of a car?

The weight distribution of the car, the location of heavy components such as the engine and gas tank, and any additional weight added to the car (such as luggage or passengers) can all affect the center of mass of a car.

4. How does the height of a car affect its center of mass?

The higher the center of mass of a car, the less stable it will be. This is because a higher center of mass means there is more potential for the car to tip over, especially during turns or sudden maneuvers.

5. Can the center of mass of a car change?

Yes, the center of mass of a car can change if the weight distribution or location of components within the car is altered. For example, adding weight to the back of a car will shift the center of mass towards the rear.