Finding the CM of a Bar of Variable Density

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a bar with length d and variable density given by the formula λ=λ0+2ax is given. The individual attempts to solve the problem by integrating infinitesimal parts of the bar and comes up with the solution M = λ0d + ad^2 and X_cm = (3λ0d + 4ad^2) / 6(λ0 + ad). The other individual confirms that the math is correct and suggests a slight simplification by pulling out a 'd' from the numerator.
Lopina

Homework Statement

We are given a bar, with length of [tex]d[/tex], and it's densitiy is given by this formula: [tex]\lambda=\lambda_{0}+2ax[/tex], where x is the distance from one side of the bar and a is a constant

Homework Equations

[tex]\lambda=\lambda_{0}+2ax[/tex]
[tex]\vec{r}_{CM}=\frac{\sum\vec{r}_{i}\Delta m_{i}}{m}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I figured, if I have infinitesimal parts of the bar, I should integrate it.
So, this is what I've come up with so far:

[tex]M=\int^{d}_{0}(\lambda_{0}+2ax)dx=\lambda_{0}x+ax^{2}|^{d}_{0}=\lambda_{0}d+ad^{2}[/tex]

[tex]X_{cm}=\frac{1}{M}\int^{d}_{0}(\lambda_{0}x+2ax^{2})dx=\frac{1}{M}(\frac{\lambda_{0}x^{2}}{2}+\frac{2ax^{3}}{3})|^{d}_{0}=\frac{3\lambda_{0}d+4ad^{2}}{6(\lambda_{0}+ad)}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the question? Your formulas look ok.

Well, I was not sure of this because the solution looks very awful, and I had no one to verify this.
But if it seems OK to you, I guess it's correct then.
Thanks

Well the math works out correctly, although you can pull a 'd' out from the numerator to slightly simplify it a bit more. Unless you misread something, then everything looks correct.

1. How do you define the center of mass (CM) of a bar of variable density?

The center of mass is a point in an object where the mass is evenly distributed in all directions. In a bar of variable density, the CM is the point where the weight of the bar is evenly distributed on both sides.

2. What is the formula for finding the CM of a bar of variable density?

The formula for finding the CM of a bar of variable density is: xcm = Σ(ximi) / Σmi, where xcm is the CM, xi is the position of each small mass element, and mi is the mass of each small element.

3. How do you calculate the position of each small mass element in a bar of variable density?

To calculate the position of each small mass element, you will need to measure the distance of each element from one end of the bar. You can also use a mathematical integration method to determine the position.

4. Can the CM of a bar of variable density be outside of the bar?

Yes, the CM of a bar of variable density can be outside of the bar, depending on the distribution of the mass. If the mass is distributed unevenly, the CM may be located outside of the physical boundaries of the bar.

5. Are there any practical applications for finding the CM of a bar of variable density?

Yes, there are several practical applications for finding the CM of a bar of variable density. This calculation is commonly used in engineering and physics to determine the stability and balance of structures, such as buildings and bridges. It is also used in designing vehicles and aircraft to ensure proper weight distribution.