1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of mass

1. May 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We are given a bar, with length of [tex]d[/tex], and it's densitiy is given by this formula: [tex]\lambda=\lambda_{0}+2ax[/tex], where x is the distance from one side of the bar and a is a constant

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\lambda=\lambda_{0}+2ax[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{r}_{CM}=\frac{\sum\vec{r}_{i}\Delta m_{i}}{m}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I figured, if I have infinitesimal parts of the bar, I should integrate it.
    So, this is what I've come up with so far:

[tex]M=\int^{d}_{0}(\lambda_{0}+2ax)dx=\lambda_{0}x+ax^{2}|^{d}_{0}=\lambda_{0}d+ad^{2}[/tex]

[tex]X_{cm}=\frac{1}{M}\int^{d}_{0}(\lambda_{0}x+2ax^{2})dx=\frac{1}{M}(\frac{\lambda_{0}x^{2}}{2}+\frac{2ax^{3}}{3})|^{d}_{0}=\frac{3\lambda_{0}d+4ad^{2}}{6(\lambda_{0}+ad)}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2009 #2
    Where is the question? Your formulas look ok.

4. May 16, 2009 #3
    Well, I was not sure of this because the solution looks very awful, and I had noone to verify this.
    But if it seems OK to you, I guess it's correct then.
    Thanks

5. May 16, 2009 #4
    Well the math works out correctly, although you can pull a 'd' out from the numerator to slightly simplify it a bit more. Unless you misread something, then everything looks correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook